PDA

View Full Version : emissions test

swedge
24-08-11, 05:12 PM
will i have the old emissions test on my car even thougn i have an engine change?

my car is a 1990 on a G plate and will have a 20seh fitted, reason im asking is my fuel pumps just died it has a c14se in it atm originaly a 1.0

mot is due on monday and i was gonna get it mot'd then put the 20seh engine i have for it into it

it will be ran on r1 carbs so cant see it being the best on emissions untill i get it set up properly on a rr

should i

a) get another pump and mot it then swap the engines

b) just fit the new engine then mot it

Iain
24-08-11, 05:17 PM
Not really sure what you mean by old test as the car is pre-cat emissions tests but...

I've been showed this by an MOT tester before, I think it looks safer fitting a 2.0 8v then MOTing it as there won't be an exact match in the DB for a 2.0 Nova, however I'm not sure if they go by what is on the logbook or what is actually fitted:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3224/motcat.gif

swedge
24-08-11, 05:25 PM
yeah just wasnt oo sure about what test it would get but looking at that it would be the pre-cat test

Jack
24-08-11, 05:56 PM
G reg will be done on a 'non-cat' test; the same emissions levels as it always has been done on.

swedge
25-08-11, 07:43 AM
well sorted the car anyway, it was the earth fromn the fuel pump had split and wasnt earthing right

Asa-James
25-08-11, 07:50 AM
lol, but for general info (as far as i am to understand it) it goes off which ever is older, the engine or the car, but you have to have sufficient proof that the engine is older, not just a letter from your mum :)

swedge
25-08-11, 07:50 AM
how old is a cav sri? lol 20seh?

Jack
25-08-11, 11:12 AM
In your case it doesn't matter, as the car is pre-cat age - so you don't need to bother with proving the engine age.

You could fit a brand new, 2011 GM engine in it, and still only need a pre-cat test lol