PDA

View Full Version : DVLA questions x2.

John
23-08-11, 09:33 PM
Very simple, (i have googled and searched the dvla website)

1, can you find out who all the previous owners of your car were?
2, changing colour on the log book, is it just simply as case of writing the new colour on the log book and sending it in?

:)

Adam
23-08-11, 09:36 PM
1-Some kind of privacy laws means you cant do this afaik. So someone told me anyway

2-Yeah

Andy
23-08-11, 09:37 PM
Yes (99% sure)-some people on a Peugeot forum i use have done this iirc
Yes

Mike
23-08-11, 09:37 PM
1) No, Data Protection Act - Cant give out any particulars (exact address, names etc, proper legal shizzle).
20 Yes, send off log book with new colour written next to the orignal.

Stuart
23-08-11, 09:42 PM
Only the one previous keeper.

I have the full name and address of the person who claimed to own the VX infront of me now lol

Andy
23-08-11, 09:43 PM
here it is.....http://psooc.com/threads/72977-Rare-E-plate-Mi16/page2?highlight=DVLA

Stuart
23-08-11, 09:45 PM
here it is.....http://psooc.com/threads/72977-Rare-E-plate-Mi16/page2?highlight=DVLA

Need to be logged in.

Adam
23-08-11, 09:46 PM
If they have got the previous owners details then the person supplying it has gone about it in some dodgy way lol

Cant view the link btw

Royston
23-08-11, 09:48 PM
1) It may have changed......... but I remember contacting the DVLA on obtaining the previous owners for an older vehicle, to obtain the details, for historic purposes you had to write to them stating why you wanted the information and the cost was £5, this was some years ago
2) yes

Andy
23-08-11, 09:48 PM
Sorry-i'll copy and paste what they say...
Somebody asked about history of a 405 Mi16......

"You can also (apparently!) ask the DVLA for the car history (including previous owners) so that should give you it's origin. I think it costs about 10 quid or something to get."

"The DVLA are indeed able to do this - I have got a surprising amount of information from them for a fiver. Well worth doing if your car has had a few owners and you want to fill some blanks "
was another reply..... how true i dont know...

Novasport
23-08-11, 10:06 PM
You can request information on all the previous owners of your vehicle, I did it for the Sport I sold to Edd. I gave him all the records I think which included copies of the old V5's and original document for first registration etc.
Print this form, fill it out and send it to the DVLA with a fiver.....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065303.pdf

Andy
23-08-11, 10:08 PM
That post needs archiving in the articles +rep Rich

John
23-08-11, 10:09 PM
Excellent! thankyou Rich! (this is for the beetle btw lol)

Jack
23-08-11, 10:25 PM
They CAN do it, but they shouldn't UNLESS you have 'reasonable cause'.

Finding out previous owner history of a car to fill in some blanks, even if its yours, is technically breach of the DPA and they shouldn't really be giving out the information as thats not really 'reasonable cause'.

But then this is the DVLA, so they're crap. lol

Andy
23-08-11, 10:26 PM

Finding out previous owner history of a car to fill in some blanks, even if its yours, is technically breach of the DPA and they shouldn't really be giving out the information as thats not really 'reasonable cause'.

Novver Sportz and mi16's are SRS BSNS lol lol lol

John
23-08-11, 10:56 PM

Lifted from rich's link.

We have a duty under the Data Protection Act 1998
to protect personal information.
However, Regulation 27 of the Road Vehicles
(Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002,
provides for the release of information where a person
shows reasonable cause to want it.

lol

Jack
23-08-11, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I read that, hence pointing out the reasonable cause bit

I can imagine they should only be giving it out if you had reasonable cause to contact an ex owner - just having someone's name and address for the sake of it is in breach of the DPA

scott.parker
24-08-11, 12:04 AM
Humm might do this as with the mk1 i lost the guys details, he's still got some old mot's and service history i was meant to get of him..