PDA

View Full Version : V6 bolt on Mods

Dod
23-08-11, 12:33 PM
Did I hear somewhere that a certain model of engine can donate things like its throttle body, exhaust manifolds etc to another variation of V6 for power gains?

Also, how do these engines manage while being decatted?

any info appreciated?

Ben
23-08-11, 12:37 PM
what engine do you have Dod? the X25 or the C25?

These engines obviously benifit from the ovbious mods like the 3.0l cams and enlarged tb, uprated fpr. iirc and its been a while one variant has cast exhaust manifolds and 1 has tubular variety.

Dod
23-08-11, 12:43 PM
At the minute I have a 2.6 V6 Vectra item (SRI150 possibly?) and a 2.5 MSD Vectra GSi Engine.

The 2.6 has tubular style manifolds iirc, I havent got a look at the 2.5 engine yet.

I'm thinking, a contact has several busted 3.0s complete but as the MSD item will have the G-cams, the 3.0 cams are no use, but I'm wondering about the inlets and TBs.

Jack
23-08-11, 12:55 PM
The 3.0 doesn't like having its cat converter and lambda(s?) removed lol

I always thought both the lower inlet parts were the same across the range, although I've heard people say otherwise - never had two to compare though, and my plastic section does have "3.0" stamped on it...

As for the TB, the 3.0 and 2.5 ones are different due to the different inlets. If you changed the TB, you'd need the upper inlet too, and possibly the lower inlet (if indeed they are different)...

Dod
23-08-11, 01:01 PM
Mmmmm, the 2.6 inlet is like a spider one but the X25XE has a shilly comb looking one. I'm sure there much be a way to simplify it, but then again, if it was converted to the other inlet, whay would you bother?

So at the minute, it looks like Cams are the only real swap/bolt on mod.

bazil
23-08-11, 01:08 PM
IMO the X25 MSD decatted is fine pulls well but I've been advised to change the flywheel for a better revving engine,

( the brother has a Xreg vectra gsi )

Ben
23-08-11, 01:26 PM
yeah the fly's are huge and weigh a ton, the msd 2.5's only had the 2 G cams fitted but you can fit the g's to inlet and exhaust for much better gain. I cant for the life of me think what the larger tb is off but i know its a direct replacement, yeah as Jack said its not the 3.0l as they have the twin inlet setup.

I have seen a few big gains from removing the cats on these too.

Dod
23-08-11, 01:38 PM
Yeah I have 2 XE Flywheels here and they're around a third of the weight.

So the MSD only used 2 G cams, thats interesting.

A local lad has an x25xe witg G-cams and a bit of P&P done on his, a different inlet or TB and a 2.5" system with only a silencer on it and reckons its been Rolling Roaded at 210bhp.

Whats the thing in between the heads that cloggs up by the way?

Ben
23-08-11, 05:11 PM
I really am scraping the bottoms of my brain as its been years since i tinkered with these, think if non genuine coolant has been used the oil cooler corrodes and the oil mixes into the water.

Yeah the GSi's definately only used 2x g cams i think it was the inlets but could be mistaken, but as said they are possible to fit to the exhaust and you see good benifits.

Again an xe flywheel will make a massive difference to resposniveness.

200-220bhp is not difficult with above mods stated. obviously the gsi's are 190 factory so with the extra cams and tb and exhaust its a fair gain for not massive outlay.

Dod
23-08-11, 09:01 PM
Sweet. I've done a little more research on it, people enlarge the throttle bodies and do away with the Traction control flap. Ring any bells anyone?

Jack
23-08-11, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the oil cooler sits in a water bath in between the heads. So when it leaks (when, not if lol) it turns into a chocolate milkshake machine lol

Dod
23-08-11, 09:49 PM
Any way of relocating the oil cooler, or maybe I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Ben
24-08-11, 12:01 PM
Jut replace it and use genuine coolant with the inhibtor and you should always be good.

Ben
24-08-11, 12:02 PM
Sweet. I've done a little more research on it, people enlarge the throttle bodies and do away with the Traction control flap. Ring any bells anyone?

Yeah thats common practice.

Nobby
24-08-11, 07:40 PM
i was wondering this, i heard bigger tb, g cams was the best thing for me as i already have a stainless and a xe flywheel

Dod
24-08-11, 10:36 PM
I've glanced at the TB, theres not much enlargening that can be done to it, any info?

Nobby
24-08-11, 10:40 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-C25XE-CALIBRA-2-5-V6-GASFLOWED-THROTTLE-BODY-/160517525259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255f970f0b

?

Dod
24-08-11, 10:53 PM
Mmmmm, wet and dry paper anyone?

Hobbit
25-08-11, 05:47 AM
Looks like most bases have been covered, the next mod would be custom tubular manifolds but they won't be cheap lol (I'm looking into it on mine) re external oil cooler, you could just use the original take off's at the back of the block but you'll need to figure out a way to fit as thermostat so the oil has chance to warm up. We are currently experimenting with using an xe sandwich plate as that has the take offs plus I believe it has a built in thermostat. Will report back on how we get on.

Dod
25-08-11, 08:49 PM
They do have a built in thermostat alright. I need to examine it and see how it works. I've a 2.5 Block and heads coming tomorrow for reference purposes so I'll post my findings.

I've been in touch with a local lad running an X25XE in his SRi Cav, he's a gas pipe fitter so has made his own Tubular Manifolds and system and is more than willing to do another set. I'll need to figure on a budget first before I can ask him to make a set up.

Nobby
25-08-11, 08:55 PM
sweet let me know

Ben
27-08-11, 02:03 PM
What's it in dod? A cav or vectra?

Dod
27-08-11, 04:14 PM
Which one? ATM, one on the Garage floor, the other in an MSD Vectra and the spare in coming from an Omega/ All destined for Various Cavaliers. Too much for a Nova or Corsa me thinks.

Ben
28-08-11, 07:09 AM
Obviously the omega one will need a new sump and oil pick up.

Dod
28-08-11, 10:59 AM
Inlet hoses and exhaust manifolds as well. I have it well susses. ;)

Dod
30-12-11, 10:38 PM
Ok, coming back to this I'm nearly ready to starts building. Now, I have an MSD 2.5 V6, another 2.5 V6 and a 2.6 V6. They all have the same inlet set up on them but the 2.6 is fly by wire. I also have a 2.5 bottom end and 2 heads intact here with whats said to be G-Cams.

Where are the engine codes on these engines?

Ben
01-01-12, 11:36 PM
Usually cast into the block