PDA

View Full Version : 6 wire lambda sensor

swedge
22-08-11, 04:21 PM
am i right in thinking that would be a wideband lambda?

Stuart
22-08-11, 04:28 PM
yes, and you need a controller for it (or a smart **** ecu)

swedge
22-08-11, 04:41 PM
i was thinking about running an afr guage so i can check the fuelling once the carbs are fitted, my mate has a 6 wire lambda he dosnt use

could i just use that lambda with an afr guage?

Stuart
22-08-11, 04:54 PM
usually yes, but some need a controller inline.

swedge
22-08-11, 04:59 PM
hmm, i gues its just a case of trying it and finding out?

Stuart
22-08-11, 05:08 PM
Given the cost of the gauges, I'd want to get it right first time.

mowgli
22-08-11, 05:31 PM
Any chance that someone can explain the difference between the different lambda sensors, also the retail price of a wideband can no way be related to the trade price, same as a cat.... They really can't put that many hundred quid on the bottom line..

Stuart
22-08-11, 05:36 PM
The sensors themselves for a wideband are about £60, and I believe genuine OEM spec narrow band sensors are £30-60.

Now a wideband sensor on its own is next to useless (bar bunging up an M18 hole in your exhaust pipe. You need some evil and nasty electronics to control and read the wideband sensors output, whereas for a narrow band sensor you really only need £3 of electronics. Cue the huge cost implications of 'aftermarket' Electronics for the wideband sensors to be useable to everyone.

I have built and older JAW unit from 14point7.com but I see they now do cheaper and more advanced stuff :)
Personally I'd not touch an Innovative product as its been seen that they dont adhere to the Bosch Wideband spec properly and 'can' kill sensors faster than normal.
I think another company called PLX do some acceptable hardware.

jeremy fisher
22-08-11, 05:58 PM
I use a NAW from 14point7. I seem to remember that when I was building it there was mention that the sensor only actually has 5 wires going to the controller although 6 come out of the sensor. One of the wires goes through a special laser cut resistor in the sensors plug and if you don't use that specific plug with the sensor (you can't just chop it out and hard wire the sensor in without the plug) then the sensor won't function corectly. So if you didn't get the plug with the sensor then it will be useless.
I don't think I've made this up! Anyone else heard this?

Stuart
24-08-11, 09:59 PM
Swedge, since you seem to be looking for a sensor and controller, are you selling the 6wire one you have now? ;)

swedge
24-08-11, 10:02 PM
ill see how much my mate wants for it as i didnt take it off him and let you know