PDA

View Full Version : tv buying advice needed

turbojolt
22-08-11, 11:54 AM
Alright guys and girls as some of you may know I've just moved up to Derby and I'm already sick of having a tiny tv in my living room its les then 20inchs big lol

So next month I want to buy a 32 or 34 inch lcd tv as any bigger would look stupid in my living room I can spend up to 250 quid but know nothing about tvs so was just wondering what you guys would recommend for that size ajd price range?

Anyhelp would be great cheers all

Stuart
22-08-11, 12:06 PM
anything Samsung.

mowgli
22-08-11, 12:09 PM
SERIOUS TOP TIP HERE....

i got given an LG 32lc56 tv the other week.... there is a standard fault on these, and you can find them on the bay for little money. they have trouble starting up...

the repair kit is a bag of capacitors for £8, yes, 8 quid.....and they are available on the bay too..my mate soldered them in for me for nowt.

so i now have a 32" hd tv for 8 quid...and they retailed for £400 2 years ago....

Edd
22-08-11, 12:14 PM
I agree with Stu, best value for money with a Samsung tbh

Tanya.
22-08-11, 12:21 PM
Another one for Samsung here. They're great tv's. Luke bought a Bush (tv just to clarify lol) just over a week ago and that appears to be pretty good too.

brainsnova
22-08-11, 12:33 PM
I only buy Sony. So far no faults 3 or 4 years old

Alex J
22-08-11, 12:37 PM
samsung here, infact got 4 in total, two at me old mans, and two at mrs merris gaff. cant beat them, picture is better than all the rest aswell, go down currys etc and see!!

Stuart
22-08-11, 12:58 PM
but obviously dont pay twice the price at currys ;)

bazil
22-08-11, 01:11 PM
Samsung 40" series 6 here ( black rose frame )
Had it 4 years with no hassle ever,

mowgli
22-08-11, 01:25 PM
i've had panasonic, jvc, samsung, and something from asda, and they are pretty much as good as each other... but when i go electrical buying, i do silly stuff like count the buttons on the remote & then buy the one with the least number....when you have 3 kids, giving them chance to play with sound & picture is not advisable, remember the scene from back to the future where he gets blown backwards from the huge speaker?.....been there, done that.

Stuart
22-08-11, 01:38 PM
Less buttons can be a bad thing with modern things called menus and intricate setups that are a pain in the ass to work out.

Mike
22-08-11, 01:56 PM
anything Samsung.

+1

Ive got a Samsung 32" hanging on the wall here, blagged it off eBay on a last second bid of £150, still boxed with warranty :)

turbojolt
22-08-11, 02:13 PM
I went in to a cash converter earlier in-between jobs lol and before even reading this I spotted the Samsung tvs they seemed to have much clearer picture the others on offer so do you think 250 will get me a good one then as I don't want to pay anything over that right now as money is tight now days with bills and rent ect lol

mowgli
22-08-11, 02:52 PM
Less buttons can be a bad thing with modern things called menus and intricate setups that are a pain in the ass to work out.

and less things that you need to play with... in the old days, they simply sold a telly that was right for your area. it needed very little modification from the std...

i suppose its called progress..

Stuart
22-08-11, 03:02 PM
One product for an entire continent with a simple menu to change things... thats progress :)

mowgli
22-08-11, 03:14 PM
only for the manufacturer, not the end user..

Stuart
22-08-11, 03:48 PM
how so?

manufacturer only has to make one or two versions of each model rather than several, meaning costs come down for the item and therefore everybody gets stuff cheaper.
If OEM's still made cars specific to each country at the component level, yer average 'reasonably priced car' would be atleast £50K before options!

Jack
22-08-11, 04:34 PM
Sasmsung or LG are my preferred brands for minotaurs/TVs.

I use an LG screen on my PC, had no issues with it in the ~3? years of ownership and it was the cheapest-per-size quality brand in its class at the time of purchase. Alaso has a fcukload of connections on the back.

Hayley has an LG TV, either 32" or 36" iirc - we picked it over a Samsung as the picture quality was a touch better when we were fiddling in Currys.

mowgli
22-08-11, 04:46 PM
how so?

manufacturer only has to make one or two versions of each model rather than several, meaning costs come down for the item and therefore everybody gets stuff cheaper.
If OEM's still made cars specific to each country at the component level, yer average 'reasonably priced car' would be atleast £50K before options!
they can tailor a tv to a market with a simple software change.. i bet french tellies start up in the correct language... if the makers know whats good for them, they will...
but they still over complicate them by making them capable of 30 odd languages when they only need 1 per tv.... and welsh isn't a real language, its just a way of annoying people from england

Stuart
22-08-11, 05:01 PM
did yours start up in welsh? lol

A simple config file, woah stop the world from progress :p
'we' make a few items that are sent to various customers and the only difference is a bitmap file and a config file. Means we can make a product for less cash per customer as the hardware (ie the bit that costs money) is made in bigger volumes :)

I suppose we dont need more than 4 channels on there too

Welsh Dan
22-08-11, 05:04 PM
they can tailor a tv to a market with a simple software change.. i bet french tellies start up in the correct language... if the makers know whats good for them, they will...
but they still over complicate them by making them capable of 30 odd languages when they only need 1 per tv.... and welsh isn't a real language, its just a way of annoying people from england

Da iawn.

On a side note, pixmania.co.uk are pretty good pricewise, and if you order delivery and setup its Currys that come out to do it (lol?). Our local Tesco had some Sony 32" 1080p ones on offer for £250 yesterday too.

Connor
22-08-11, 05:24 PM
I bought a 32" LG lcd tv last week on some special offer at my local argos because they had a refurb, only cost me 200 which is pretty good ( I think lol) I, also like you, haven't the faintest clue when it comes to tvs lol

Rich
22-08-11, 05:38 PM
sony here, not had a problem in the 3 odd years ive had it

Riggy
22-08-11, 05:41 PM
although i have a 50" samsung , ill never have another, after it killing itself after 3 years and 1 day , (3 year warrenty )

i spoke to a lot of repair men , av forums etc etc each one has said that yes samsungs look the dogs bollocks etc , but they use the cheapest componants possible ,

ive been told the best one to buy is a panasonic , so i may look at them next after i get my current samsung fixed :(

mk1nova_rich
22-08-11, 06:16 PM
26" Samsung in my room that I paid £70 for ;) not a bad TV lol

Gaz1300SR
22-08-11, 06:17 PM
Had a Sharp last time which lasted 4 years of heavy use. Now got a Samsung which is a cracking tele.

Adam
22-08-11, 06:21 PM
Dont buy cheap supermarket makes because the difference is very noticeable IMO.
I used to have a "asda" 32" lcd, and whilst it did the job fine and never broke down, side by side with my brothers Samsung just showed where the cuts were made to make it a cheap tv! The picture on mine was just lacking something, as was the sound (although that doesnt matter to me as i use a standalone amp), but its worth bearing in mind for most "normal" households.

Sony/Panasonic/Samsung is where to be looking.
RicherSounds are usually spot on, price wise.

turbojolt
22-08-11, 06:27 PM
Think I might have to go for a Samsung is it worth buying one from new to get the warranty or not can they be fixed easily, a quick look about shows they do look nice also is there any advantages/disadvantages between 32 or 34" or is other just a personal preference size wise

Cheers for all the comment so far guys its a big help

Adam
22-08-11, 06:41 PM
Never really heard of a 34" lcd.

Usually 32" or 36/37" are the available options in the 30-40" market.

Its personal preference/room size.

phunkynova
22-08-11, 06:42 PM
Had a Samsung lasted 3 year needed a new screen (no way) have a Sony now well smart.
Any way just go to your local pub I'm sure there are plenty of new in the box TV's to be had just now in England as most of the big retailers are low on stocks for the time being.:)

turbojolt
22-08-11, 06:54 PM
Would rather not fund the little dicks that run around destroying my country for nothing more then something to do tbh mate.

Andy
22-08-11, 06:58 PM
Would rather not fund the little dicks that run around destroying my country for nothing more then something to do tbh mate.
+rep