PDA

View Full Version : Possible fuel starvation?!?

Novasport
20-08-11, 09:06 PM
Right, due to age of the Swing and being on its original rubber fuel pipes I decided to replace them.
Fitted new cotton overbraid rubber fuel hoses in the engine bay and the 2x 'S' hoses at the tank.
I have fitted the correct 8mm supply & 6mm return hoses as required.
It drove fine last week after replacing them but it was around the estate so not at any more than 40mph.
Took it out today and it was fine going up the A52 then onto country roads with national speed limit.
On the way back I accellerated firmly lets say upto the national limit then it chugged as if it was running out of fuel then cut out. It restarted fine then did the same after a few hundred yards. This happened about 4 or 5 times. Took in steady on the A52 on the way back and it was fine sat at about 50mph but cuts out when I stop at junctions. That seems to be tickover speed and a little choke stops it. It always starts though.

Any ideas?!?

mowgli
20-08-11, 09:21 PM
vacuum advance maybe?
choke cable slipped?
muck in the pump?

marc69
20-08-11, 09:23 PM
I had a similar problem with my swing, checked all fuel stuff, it only happened after a longish run at speed. Turned out to be the distributor.

Novasport
20-08-11, 09:31 PM
Does not feel electrical though, deffo feels like a fuel fault.
The fuel pump was new a few months ago.
The fuel was clean when I drained it from the supply hose so it went back in it.

simonm
20-08-11, 09:37 PM
I presume it's a carb model make sure the fuel hose is not too soft and collapsing if not what air filter have you got on could be fuel freezing in the carb that will cause similar problems

Novasport
20-08-11, 09:54 PM
The fuel hose is all new, original filter box is fitted, the filter is clean and it would not be carb freezing(The 1.2 has a permanent warm air feed from the exhaust and we had warm weather today)

Novasport
20-08-11, 09:57 PM
The only thing I can think is the 'S' hoses are sucking flat and kinking maybe?!?
The originals are shaped but new genuine ones are NLS. Replacement hose has to be bent at sharp angles to fit correctly so are close to kinking.

Southie
20-08-11, 10:06 PM
Have you checked your spark plugs? What colour are they??

Maybe try flushing the carb with some redex.

Novasport
20-08-11, 10:12 PM
Checked the plugs and they are spot on the right colour.
I put a fuel additive in just after I got it.

Southie
20-08-11, 10:15 PM
Did you put additive in the tank aswell at the carb to give the system a right good clear out?
Have you checked the timing hasn't slipped?

Royston
21-08-11, 09:12 AM
Rich,
Is there a gauze witin the fuel pump? long time since I looked, probably a load of crap has started to come through from the tank as you have now started using it and flow fuel through, restricting supply.

Remove the gauze clean and refit;)

tom reid
21-08-11, 09:20 AM
Right, due to age of the Swing and being on its original rubber fuel pipes I decided to replace them.
Fitted new cotton overbraid rubber fuel hoses in the engine bay and the 2x 'S' hoses at the tank.
I have fitted the correct 8mm supply & 6mm return hoses as required.
It drove fine last week after replacing them but it was around the estate so not at any more than 40mph.
Took it out today and it was fine going up the A52 then onto country roads with national speed limit.
On the way back I accellerated firmly lets say upto the national limit then it chugged as if it was running out of fuel then cut out. It restarted fine then did the same after a few hundred yards. This happened about 4 or 5 times. Took in steady on the A52 on the way back and it was fine sat at about 50mph but cuts out when I stop at junctions. That seems to be tickover speed and a little choke stops it. It always starts though.

Any ideas?!?
I'd guess at a lean fuel mixture, especially if it needs choke to start/keep running at idle.

Novasport
21-08-11, 09:34 AM
I'd guess at a lean fuel mixture, especially if it needs choke to start/keep running at idle.
That is what I was thinking but it does not explain the cutting out, that's why I was thinking it was the 'S' fuel pipe.

Rich,
Is there a gauze witin the fuel pump? long time since I looked, probably a load of crap has started to come through from the tank as you have now started using it and flow fuel through, restricting supply.

Remove the gauze clean and refit;)

Its a sealed pump that cannot be opened. Might try another pump as I have loads kicking round.

Andy
21-08-11, 10:15 AM
Just scan read this so forgive me if its already been asked...
Fuel filter??
My Sr 1300 did exactly the same as this then i changed the fuel filter and engine bay pipes,it cured it.

Novasport
21-08-11, 12:38 PM
The 1200's don't have a fuel filter as such. There is a gauze in the fuel pump which is the first filter but on some you cannot remove it to clean it.

paul james
21-08-11, 12:48 PM
You could try swapping the 's' pipes on the tanks supply and return with some straight pipe instead, thats what I've always had on my 1.3 anyway. A fuel pump isn't much, so could be worth trying another one, there's genuine GM ones on the bay.

John
21-08-11, 12:53 PM
Rich on some carbs there was a gauze filter on the feed pipe.

tom reid
21-08-11, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Novasport;1914780]That is what I was thinking but it does not explain the cutting out, that's why I was thinking it was the 'S' fuel pipe

If the mixture is too lean it will cut out, have you actually looked at the afr's?

Novasport
21-08-11, 03:07 PM
What, cut out at full throttle?!? Its like the fuel has ran out completely. Thing is, it was fine doing the 100+ mile trip home a few weeks ago, a 20 miles round trip to work and was also fine on the journey to where I was going yesterday. It was only on the way back on the same route that it happened.
I may have tracked down some of the correct fuel pipes and I will fit a new pump that I have and try again. Will get the mixture checked and idle adjusted.

swedge
21-08-11, 03:47 PM
i had a similar problem, when i fitted all my new hoses and injection tank i managed to put a kink in 1 of the rubber hoses by the tank

the car would idle fine but as soon as you tried to drive it would cut out

id check for any kinks in the rubber hoses

Novasport
18-09-11, 08:13 PM
Finally got my finger out today to have a look see what was the cause of my fuel starvation. A quick peek underneath revealed what I thought may be the issue....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/IMG-20110918-00047.jpg
The Pipe I fitted that was a lovely 'S' shape to start with has kinked itself at the top.
Replaced it with a new genuine Vauxhall 'S' fuel hose I got through work. Roadtested it and it runs like a dream now :).
In fact, I can't believe how well it drives for an antique and its not that slow.

swedge
18-09-11, 08:19 PM
haha told you it would be a kink in the hose, it took me ages to figure out mine lol