PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrow down

Jack
20-08-11, 02:27 PM
Looks like one has fallen out the sky at Bournemouth Air Festival

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16053735

Alex J
20-08-11, 02:30 PM
****!! hope it aint bad, they are ****ing gangster!!! hope the pilot/piolots got out ok.

Edd
20-08-11, 02:34 PM
:( hopefully no deaths

I loved seeing them the two times I've been to air show

Alex J
20-08-11, 04:11 PM
http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Aug/Week3/16053780.jpg

John
20-08-11, 05:35 PM
Bad times! :(

Ben
20-08-11, 05:38 PM
As said on fb not good times for the pilot!

Pete
20-08-11, 06:48 PM
ouch, hope the pilot is ok and see's it through.

ive seen them a few times, they flew over my mums house twice when i was young.

Edd
20-08-11, 07:19 PM
pilot announced as dead :( sad times

Novasport
20-08-11, 08:24 PM
My little 5 year old nephew is down there for the weekend and he got the pilot's signature yesterday. He was supposed to meet him again tomorrow along with the rest of the team :(

Andy
20-08-11, 08:26 PM
Thats a terrible accident,thoughts go out to the family

Hayley
20-08-11, 09:13 PM
This is really sad news. The call came in while I was at work today and we all thought it was a hoax :( Wish it was.
Just watched the statement from some Chief RAF guy and he looked really cut up. I got a bit choked up. The Red Arrows are iconic and a part of what makes Britain Great.

Thoughts with his wife and family.

mowgli
20-08-11, 09:19 PM
what these pilots do on a daily basis is incredible. but the nature of their flying means there really is no margin for error, and they truly are the absolute best of the best. i see them every year at a local display. i have a unique viewpoint because the fly over my brothers farm as it is close to the show field, and they are so low & fast that if they have a mechanical failure, which i'm guessing this was, they would have no time whatsoever to eject safely.

Jack
20-08-11, 09:22 PM
I believe they were coming in to land, it wasn't part of the display

mowgli
20-08-11, 09:23 PM
the footage on the bbc website doesn't look like it..... it sort of dropped out of the sky off a turn

Jack
20-08-11, 09:29 PM
So it seems, just saw the footage on BBC. I was going by witness reports earlier, girl said they were coming in to land at Bournemouth

No ejection on the footage makes me think pilot error

Tanya.
20-08-11, 09:32 PM
How sad :( I love the Red Arrows. They used to be my favourite part of Clacton-On-Sea airshow (which is actually next week) :(

mowgli
20-08-11, 09:50 PM
So it seems, just saw the footage on BBC. I was going by witness reports earlier, girl said they were coming in to land at Bournemouth

No ejection on the footage makes me think pilot error

he was out of the plane & his parachute was apparently open. it was also really low, so ejection would not have given him much of a chance.

John
20-08-11, 09:52 PM
We spent ages this year at RNAS culdrose watching the hawk pilots being trained. They really are very skilled pilots. this is such sad news. I can only echo Hayleys post :(

Keif
20-08-11, 10:35 PM
Very sad news, according to reports he was thrown from the wreckage.

Just because he didn't eject doesn't necessarily mean it was pilot error, there are houses close by, and his first priority would be to avoid those
(The plane crashed near Throop at the south of the airport).

Thoughts go out to his Wife (who was there) and family.

Jack
20-08-11, 11:28 PM
he was out of the plane & his parachute was apparently open. it was also really low, so ejection would not have given him much of a chance.
The seats are designed so they can be ejected safely even from on the ground; I was thinking it just seemed odd how it seemed the aircraft just went straight after coming out of a curve.

wwmnw
20-08-11, 11:38 PM
Such skilled pilots, this is a strange and saddening accident.

Stuart
20-08-11, 11:43 PM
The seats are designed so they can be ejected safely even from on the ground; I was thinking it just seemed odd how it seemed the aircraft just went straight after coming out of a curve.

Zero-Zeros have limits too.... bank angle and descent rate being some of them. Ie you can demand an eject but it wont till the system is happy :(
But Mr Pilot would have held onto that plane as long as possible to keep from causing civvie casualties, Hes even more of a hero for that than the epic flying :)

RIP

wwmnw
20-08-11, 11:52 PM
But Mr Pilot would have held onto that plane as long as possible to keep from causing civvie casualties, Hes even more of a hero for that than the epic flying :)

RIP

:thumb:

Spudly
21-08-11, 01:50 AM
Such a shame, my thoughts go out to the family and friends of the pilot, according to a group on facetube his name was Flight Lieutenant John Egging, RIP.

Alex J
21-08-11, 12:33 PM
this has just been put up....

some sort of fault with the plane???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfxi73bEao&feature=watch_response

John
21-08-11, 12:52 PM
I was watching bbc news this morning, some sort if aviation "expert" also thought that something had dramatically failed on the plane.

Keif
21-08-11, 03:37 PM
Would be a disorientated pilot or component failure. The RAF will find out in time.

Lewis.
22-08-11, 07:30 PM
sad news :(

no doubt the governments knee jerk reaction will be to ground the Arrows for good.

mowgli
22-08-11, 11:10 PM
the hawk is their primary fast jet trainer.... and is sold worldwide.... they'll be searching frantically for the reason this crash happened...

the latest theory is bird strike..

Dervy
22-08-11, 11:51 PM
this is so sad, i couldn`t believe it when i heard today, the red arrows are such a great british tradition, that its a real tragedy that they have been grounded for now, rest in peace Flt Lt Jon Egging

mowgli
22-08-11, 11:53 PM
who remembers NATS1 at billing?... they flew over in formation... even travelling between jobs, they looked cool