PDA

View Full Version : My finished project 20XE nova running rough.... any ideas?

Grey
15-08-11, 11:38 PM
well ive got her back after nearly 4 years being off the road and well getting to the point of wanting to get rid.

On idle its very lumpy and stinks of fuel ragrdless if hot or cold occasionaly worse when cold and sometimes cut out. CTS IS NEW! Cant be cts.

Driving with feathering accelerator lumpy again in any rev range.

Drive it hard then come to a stand still or back off to 30mph and idles/drives normal for a minute then lumpy and back to how it was.

clean rim of exhaust in morning then come back at night after work its charcoal.

fuel/air problem i think but where to start. drive it hard its perfect does not mis behave.

The only mods are lightend and balenced crank, flywheel, skimmed head, port polish, exhaust and top hat. everything is near enough new apart from AFM.

its done 700mile since rebuild etc. any ideas anyone? iceni/andy has gone through it with a fine tooth comb cant find nothing. :(

Thanks

Grey

Mieran
16-08-11, 12:06 AM
So you're running a non lambda loom, right?

Whats the code on the ECU?

Grey
16-08-11, 07:57 AM
Yes non lambda loom. will be able to say what ecu code is later. But this ecu was in my past nova xe and run fine and the loom is out of my old nova to.

Will F
16-08-11, 08:49 AM
Sounds like an air leak from somewhere - check pipes and inlet/TB gasket etc

Grey
16-08-11, 09:05 AM
yeah checked vacumes and all is ok used carb cleaner around pipes etc no change in idle

Will F
17-08-11, 08:20 AM
Well the` only sensors that affect the fuelling are CTS, Lambda (which you dont have) and AFM....

iceni
18-08-11, 05:50 PM
Grey

Should have the Ramp available on Sunday but i'll call you Saturday PM to confrim.

Thinking about this today and i think we will have to start wil basics again and check the timimng as the vac gauge does hover just over that section.

IF there was a Tech 1 port then i could do a live date check which would give us the valves for the CTS, Air Mass and TPS but as thats been removed from the loom then we are looking at this blind.

Lets get the timimg checked first as that is another parts that has been changed since it last ran

Cheers
Andy

Bean,
18-08-11, 06:03 PM
Had a simlar prob with a XE a couple of years ago. All sensors were new and still had the same probs. The loom and ECU were all from the same donor car and ran perfect before being transfered. Turned out that the earth wire to the CTS had broken down. So my advice would be to do a continueity (sp lol) test on the AFM and CTS plugs and double check all earth points.

richi
21-08-11, 09:39 AM
My thought aswell check wiring to the cts and the afm pal