PDA

View Full Version : anyone running bike carbs on a 13sr or what are yous recommending

White Nova Man
14-08-11, 12:57 AM
what bike carbs ?
or what 40's

also what is the best cam

just fishing for info for E588 JUY

Edd
14-08-11, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't bother with bike carbs IMO everytime someone attempts to put them on they have mega issues getting it running right

Royston
14-08-11, 08:59 AM
I would go 40's all the way, unless you can afford throttle boddies, etc

Ensure if you go the weber/dellorto route that the are choked and jetted for a 1300/1400, these carbs are capable of running upto 2.0l capacity.

They will always need fine tuning to suit your engine, the closer they are the cheaper (sport carbs are choked down to 33mm iirc) jets, etc are simple enough to change, new chokes are @ £50 each!!!

Cam wise you could go as high as you want, but too high will make it a nighmare to drive for road use, I have a piper 285 in the Sport, kent AST 2 is also recommended, (Edd has one for sale iirc)

phunkynova
14-08-11, 09:50 AM
Hi white nova man I run a set of R1 bike carbs on a 1.4 8 valve with no set up problems using a 290 deg Autosprint cam.
Having looked at the price of 2nd hand 40's and bike carb's I found the bike set up to be all most 50% cheaper (I'm taking about ready to run IE inlet,air filter, and so on).
Yes bike carb's can be hard to set but no more than 40's you just need to know someone who know's about bike carbs (try a local bike tuner) or contact Tom Reid on here he dose a lot with bike carbs.
Any set up is only as good as the person who set's them lots of people say they can but not many really can.

Nobby
14-08-11, 11:03 AM
i bought some bike carbs already set up for my xe wernt really cheap and had nothing but problems because nobody round here knows how t really set them up go with 40s proven

White Nova Man
14-08-11, 12:20 PM
thanks fellas . well im sure if you had the right one working at it it would be some job with bike carbs ,

whats the best bike carbs to go for ?

White Nova Man
14-08-11, 12:21 PM
I would go 40's all the way, unless you can afford throttle boddies, etc

Ensure if you go the weber/dellorto route that the are choked and jetted for a 1300/1400, these carbs are capable of running upto 2.0l capacity.

They will always need fine tuning to suit your engine, the closer they are the cheaper (sport carbs are choked down to 33mm iirc) jets, etc are simple enough to change, new chokes are @ £50 each!!!

Cam wise you could go as high as you want, but too high will make it a nighmare to drive for road use, I have a piper 285 in the Sport, kent AST 2 is also recommended, (Edd has one for sale iirc)

any more info on the cam ?

Royston
14-08-11, 02:32 PM
I would look up pipercams and kentcams on the good old interweb

Saloony
14-08-11, 02:37 PM
Ive had B/C's on my xe for the last 5/6years now, still perfect

Royston
14-08-11, 05:06 PM
It would be fair comment that either bike carbs or forties, can give great performance when set up correctly;), the devil is always in the detail, forties have a reputation for going out of tune at the drop of a hat, but if refurbed correctly, coupled to correct choke size, jetting, etc and set up correctly, they can provide hours of reliable fun! :)
Forties components are available off the shelf if you need to change parts

I put my hands up and say I have no experience of bike carbs, so can't comment or recommend one over the other:confused:

As always you, takes ya money and makes your choice, research and getting other peoples opinions/experiences.:)

Bogg Brothers seem to have a good reputation, for manufacturing manifolds and setting up various card systems, but they'd be a ferry ride for you

womble sri
14-08-11, 06:33 PM
what bike carbs ?
or what 40's

also what is the best cam

just fishing for info for E588 JUY

I used to run a piper BP300 on my Sr on DHLA 40's it was real fast, not ideal for daily use though, however it was my daily driver. A friend of mine has an inlet manifold to suit the Sri head (far superior) if you go the 40's route, infact he probably has a head aswel!

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 12:01 AM
thanks guys , yes i have herd of these boggs brothers, at the minute im getting mixed comments here, one minute is 40s then im thinking b/c

whats the best 40s to look out for ...........

whats the best bike carbs ..........

D7AKE
15-08-11, 01:33 PM
I have a 275 duration kent cam running advanced timing and twin 40's rejetted on my Sport, running 120BHP and no reliability issues at all...

Stuart
15-08-11, 01:44 PM
Kent AST2 FTW, or if you like it a little more peaky then the Piper BP300, unless going for a solid profile I'd only consider those two cams.

40's only dropout of tune when setup by a retard, or when purchased from someone who had them setup by a retard lol. Bent spindles from incorrect throttle linkage setup is the most common cause for the 'tune' to drift. I've know a set to remain in tune for 5 very hard years including removal and refit to the car atleast twice :)

Prey
15-08-11, 01:53 PM
I'd stick up for bike carbs, 2 years on r1s myself and no problems whatsoever.

Same as any carbs, don't trust buying them 'setup' and get them sorted by someone decent (or do your homework properly) and you won't have any issues.

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 02:11 PM
thank guys. i think bike carbs are winning at the minute.

any more advice ????

phunkynova
15-08-11, 03:12 PM
Ok If you want Bike carbs I use Yamaha R1's but some use Yamaha R6 It seams as if there are a few options to which ones you can use (by the way I have used both Webers an Bike carbs in the past no big difference between them) I use a AUTOSPRINT 290 degree cam they are a good price and cheaper than the big names
http://www.autosprint.co.uk/
Above is there web site.
Tom Ried here on PNG is some one to talk to about bike carbs.

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 03:42 PM
Ok If you want Bike carbs I use Yamaha R1's but some use Yamaha R6 It seams as if there are a few options to which ones you can use (by the way I have used both Webers an Bike carbs in the past no big difference between them) I use a AUTOSPRINT 290 degree cam they are a good price and cheaper than the big names
http://www.autosprint.co.uk/
Above is there web site.
Tom Ried here on PNG is some one to talk to about bike carbs.

yea mate thanks, im just off the phone with tom and he was a super help

phunkynova
15-08-11, 06:16 PM
If you want to see my car running on bike carbs and autosprint cam go here.
Fun Runs at Gutershol GP weekend (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?175965-Fun-Runs-at-Gutershol-GP-weekend)

which is in the video forum.

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 06:23 PM
If you want to see my car running on bike carbs and autosprint cam go here.
Fun Runs at Gutershol GP weekend (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?175965-Fun-Runs-at-Gutershol-GP-weekend)

which is in the video forum.

super mate. love the note off her . pm what you have done if you dont mind :)

phunkynova
15-08-11, 06:31 PM
Well as you now know Yamaha R1 bike carbs, Bogg bros inlet, A SE head fitted with some work done to it by Tom Ried, Autosprint 290 cam, SCCR quaife gear box, Tran-X lsd, that's about it,
it has some where around 100 to 110 BHP.
Going to be working with Tom over winter to get some more power out of the motor.

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 06:50 PM
are you running a full 1400 engine or 1400 head and 1300 bottom end

phunkynova
15-08-11, 07:04 PM
1.4 NV engine with a 1.4 SE head

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 07:19 PM
whats the se head of mate

Stuart
15-08-11, 07:29 PM
for such a build, thats very disappointing power for a 1400....I'd be wanting 120bhp MIN from that lot.

phunkynova
15-08-11, 07:42 PM
The SE head is off a sri Nova
As for power the bottom end is bog standard, only minor work to the head, Standard exhaust manifold so it's just a cam and carb job really so I think the power out put is good from 74 standard, 25 to 30 BHP gain

White Nova Man
15-08-11, 08:14 PM
thanks for the comments mate

Stuart
15-08-11, 08:36 PM
The SE head is off a sri Nova
As for power the bottom end is bog standard, only minor work to the head, Standard exhaust manifold so it's just a cam and carb job really so I think the power out put is good from 74 standard, 25 to 30 BHP gain

ahh std manifold wont be helping things :)

BRoadGhost
16-08-11, 10:43 PM
Don't buy chokes for 50 sheets each - remove them & get them turned if you want them larger.

turbojolt
17-08-11, 05:02 PM
I would stay away from piper cams there were about as usefully as a chocolate fire poker a bunch of **** imo

Stuart
19-08-11, 02:04 PM
I would stay away from piper cams there were about as usefully as a chocolate fire poker a bunch of **** imo

wow such insight and reasoning, I'll take your advice onboard (and ignore it)

Paul
19-08-11, 03:03 PM

Whys that then?

tom reid
19-08-11, 04:35 PM

Absolutely agree with turbojolt, we've had cams arrive damaged, with different sizes on the inlet lobes, christ we even had one cam for an 8v vauxhall that wouldn't go into the cam box, one of the journals was too big, these were on grind No's not the run of the mill cams, you pay top whack money for sh1t service and even sh1tt1er qc.

Royston
19-08-11, 06:57 PM
I have a Piper 270/110 in my Twin plenum Vitesse (done @ 10k miles since rebuild), a Piper RP4 (RPi) cam in my Range Rover Classic (done @ 30k miles since rebuild) and a Piper 285 in the Sport(done @ 3k miles)

I have to say I have had no issues, cams were purchased through Piper official dealer

Nothing broken yet

Stuart
19-08-11, 07:41 PM
Absolutely agree with turbojolt, we've had cams arrive damaged, with different sizes on the inlet lobes, christ we even had one cam for an 8v vauxhall that wouldn't go into the cam box, one of the journals was too big, these were on grind No's not the run of the mill cams, you pay top whack money for sh1t service and even sh1tt1er qc.

tbh you deserve all you get when obtaining regrinds....

turbojolt
19-08-11, 10:22 PM
Might have something to do with lying about pricing on making my brother a set of cams from blanks even telling him the dimensions and that there being finished off to then send a off the shelf cam for a fiat uno turbo rather then the custom cams for the 16v engine he asked them for and payed for and only paying for the postage back to them after lengthy phone calls and complaning!! But I suppose that is alright hey stu lol

Stuart
19-08-11, 10:48 PM
Maybe they knew it was something to do with you and treated accordingly... :p

Never ever had a problematic cam from piper/kent (note they are ******* close on the map ;) ) /catcams etc.... All very decent companies to deal with and supplied exactly what was requested/paid for blah blah.

MK999
19-08-11, 10:50 PM
Catcams are very very good but expensive, we deal with them or Newman, short time I've been there we've had a couple of issues with Newman stuff, but then they've been good about sorting it out too.

tom reid
20-08-11, 01:04 AM
tbh you deserve all you get when obtaining regrinds....

If you knew what a grind No is you'd know it wasn't a regrind.

turbojolt
20-08-11, 04:54 PM
Maybe they knew it was something to do with you and treated accordingly... :p

What ever Stuart lol one day were.be best of friends running and skipping down the street singing "we are family" one day, one day soon I hope :-(