PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pipe

steviegsi
13-08-11, 01:35 AM
Took the original fuel pipes off my gsi today and as they are rusted to fook and pitted in a few places, what are my options in replacing them?

Was thinking about some of that pretty braided hose from the tank right up to inlet/fuel rail. What fittings would i need for this? Engine will be a late c20xe. What is the internal size of the hose i need 6/8mm iirc? Are these a PITA to make up?

Fankoo :)

Iain
13-08-11, 08:33 AM
I bought several metres of 8mm ID high pressure hose and 8mm plastic lines to run along the floorpan. Used brass barbed connectors for any joins (e.g. joining my new hose to a short length of hose that has the fuel rail connection on & joining the hose to the plastic). I'm sure I ended up using 8mm for the return too. Has been fine so far.

phazer
13-08-11, 08:54 AM
You could use 8mm id Kunifer, it's cheap enough and looks good.

Damo
13-08-11, 09:24 AM
Why not get some line off a late type injection nova there high pressure nylon hoses.

simonm
13-08-11, 09:52 AM
Some 8 mm copper would do the job cheap as chips and very easy to bend in it shape use that under neith and get some of that fancy aeroquip hosing for the flexible bits

shed-on-wheels
13-08-11, 01:16 PM
as said above 8mm copper will do well fella

phazer
13-08-11, 04:38 PM
Kunifer is better as its a copper/nickel mix. It stands up better to salt corrosion and doesn't work harden through vibration like pure copper but is still easy to bend to shape etc.

steviegsi
14-08-11, 12:20 AM
Does this kunifer stuff need anything done to the ends of it (can't think of a sensible way to put it) or can I just jubilee clip flexible hoses straight onto each end?

Mazz
14-08-11, 09:39 AM
I've got B&Q's finest 8mm copper pipe under mine, with jubilee clip's and its fine. Cheapy cheap and easy to replace.

phazer
14-08-11, 09:51 AM
Does this kunifer stuff need anything done to the ends of it (can't think of a sensible way to put it) or can I just jubilee clip flexible hoses straight onto each end?

Nope, you treat it the same as the original steel pipe or copper. Piece of tube with a fuel pipe clip (better than a jubilee as it doesn't crush at the flat point) and jobs a good 'un.

phazer
14-08-11, 10:03 AM
This place is very good for price/speed of delivery. Got all of my brake pipe from them.

http://www.clarik.co.uk/index.php

Pistol Pete
14-08-11, 11:26 AM
lol B&Q's finest 8mm microbore pipe on mine!! Fits perfectly in the original clips aswell.

steviegsi
15-08-11, 12:15 AM
Cheers everyone. Will head done to b&q on Tuesday for a look.