PDA

View Full Version : selling a crashed car.

Vausey
12-08-11, 02:36 PM
Right im selling a car that is a wright off or (total loss) as the insurance said. some bloke wants to but it but how do i sell it on on the logg book?

is there a procedure i haveto take or am i just selling it as a normal car would be sold...

kent14sr
12-08-11, 02:45 PM
If you have the log book send it off in the normal way - DVLA will not send out the new keeper one till a VIC is undertaken (providing its cat C)

If not, I would send DVLA a letter stating the new keepers details

Vausey
12-08-11, 03:06 PM
hmm can you not sell it as scrapped?

Vausey
12-08-11, 03:32 PM
rang them up and i need to ask my insurance if it is possible...

Mike
12-08-11, 03:45 PM
What Cat is it? Have the insurance paid out minus the vehicle value?

Once theyve paid out minus the vehicle value, the car is your to do as you please. If theyve paid out & said they will collect the car, then you cant sell it as its not yours to sell.

Stuart
12-08-11, 04:01 PM
call VOSA to see if its really a write off too ;) if you were paid out via a 3rd party then you might have good news ;)

Vausey
15-08-11, 10:41 AM
No it was a uninsured driver ive gone through the mib and they have said the car is mine to do as i please. but i thought there still would be a procedure to do as the car is a wright off it would be mere imposible to even get close to getiing it fixed.

Stuart
15-08-11, 10:53 AM
Do you know what CAT they wrote it off as?
Do a vehicle check on the DVLA site, and also call VOSA to find out if it needs a VIC or not.

Ben
15-08-11, 01:30 PM
probably unrecorded in this instance just do a hpi text check on 88600 and then sell it as it shows on there either cat c/d or unrecorded.

Vausey
15-08-11, 02:44 PM
I dont no, they just said its uneconomical repair and they said its up to me to despose of the vehicle. now a guy of here has said he wants the car. but i just need to know what to sell it as on the v5. or if i can sell it the mib have been no help what so ever nor the vosa people!!!! i called vosa they said call the mib i called them they said its my car and its a write off do as i wish.

Stuart
15-08-11, 03:00 PM
on the V5 all you can do is transfer ownership.... there is no place to fill in stating if its written off etc.

Odd that Vosa werent helpful, they were nothing but fabulous on the phone for me lol
Just do the HPI check like Ben said.

amggsi
15-08-11, 03:00 PM
Just transfer the reg document in the normal way, means it's out of your name and the buyer can scrap it if they wish......

Ben
15-08-11, 08:14 PM
just write on the reciept of the sale, sold as seen in damaged condition, buyer aware that car has been seriously accident damaged, no warranty implied or given.

just do a hpi and they will tell you exactly what you need to know, if they say there is no damage marker against the car then its unrecorded damage.

The problem with just transferring the reg v5 into new buyers name and its a cat c then he will be contacted by doovla telling them that the car requires a vic check.

Vausey
16-08-11, 09:06 AM
when i called the vosa peeps i asked them how do i sell a written off car and they asked the reg so on.... and said its not down as written of but could you get your insurance to contact us stating the cat.. when i passed this over to the MIB they said its mine to do as i wish. there a pain in the ass as it is the mib.

Vausey
16-08-11, 09:21 AM
its a cat c.. just rang the mib and forced it out of them...

Stuart
16-08-11, 09:39 AM
was that, you reminded them to make it a CAT C lol

Vausey
16-08-11, 10:49 AM
what do you mean? iv rang dvla again and the guy said to sell, scrap, dismantle it as you would aslong as you send the right details off so they can take my name off the database..

Stuart
16-08-11, 11:23 AM
They probably hadnt registered the details with the DVLA, and you calling up had reminded the MiB to send the details on.

If you are selling to a scrappy/dismantler then you just do the normal 'change of owner' but tick the scrap box. If you are selling it to someone to fix then just a normal owner change and they get a letter from the doovla asking to VIC the car before they issue a V5

Vausey
17-08-11, 11:43 AM
thanks stuart. phoned dvla up again today and they said its fine for me to sell as it is and they will just send the new owner report thing... as you said stu

dan23
18-08-11, 10:57 PM
I dont no, they just said its uneconomical repair and they said its up to me to despose of the vehicle. now a guy of here has said he wants the car. but i just need to know what to sell it as on the v5. or if i can sell it the mib have been no help what so ever nor the vosa people!!!! i called vosa they said call the mib i called them they said its my car and its a write off do as i wish.

if you want i can hpi check it at work if you pm the reg then you will know catergory it is i thought anything above cat c had to be crushed acutions wont sell write offs unless you have a special breaker licsense but this was a few year ago