PDA

View Full Version : Which rad fan c16xe conversion

Phil_d
11-08-11, 07:41 PM
Had a few problems whilst converting my nova, as always png members are always willing to help with parts and advise, or so i have found anyways :D been running it a few weeks, only to work and back and local journeys aint really had it out on a long run. I havent been able to get a rad fan to fit. Neither the corsa fan or the nova fan will fit, thought of putting a slimline fan in, but i have no idea what to get, anyone shed any light on the situation? Phil.

Southie
11-08-11, 07:52 PM
I use to have the standard fan in on mine without any problems, why's it not fitting?

Phil_d
11-08-11, 08:00 PM
Cant fit it between the rad and the dipstick tube.

Southie
11-08-11, 08:01 PM
Get some pictures up I'm intrigued.

Phil_d
11-08-11, 08:06 PM
Il get some in my lunch hour tomorrow its pissing it down here :( think it may have fit if i had put one in before the engine but i cant get one one either from the top or from underneath.

Southie
11-08-11, 08:17 PM
How about fitting a fan on the opposite side i.e behind the bumper, you'll not see it from the engine bay and will be more tidy.

Phil_d
11-08-11, 09:00 PM
It had crossed my mind, but if not really had time since i got the engine in to mess about with it, will have a go at mounting it the other way round and get some pics up tomorrow.

craig green
11-08-11, 10:04 PM
I had a C16XE & a turbo'd one with a std Nova GSi rad & GM fan.
I think various Nova rads have different types of fan cowling, the best cooling will be from the proper fan & cowling setup. The shape of the cowling brings the air through most efficiently. Slimline aftermarket ones are necessarily the best.

C612DNM
11-08-11, 10:41 PM
Sticking it in front of the rad will restrict the airflow through the rad, leading to overheating, or the requirement for a bigger radiator to offset it. Always put the fan behind the rad, as Craig points out, there are some slimline ones out there which are pretty good, BUT the factory cowling is designed for enhancing the fans efficiency. Move the dipstick to make it fit.

boyd_1989
12-08-11, 03:35 AM
i got a c16xe in mine and im using standard fan / rad it was really hard to get it in... i had to unplug the ht leads and bend the dipstick a little bit and it was still a tight squeeze but it went in. try taking off the manifold and go in from underneath??

shed-on-wheels
12-08-11, 03:38 AM
i used a mk4 astra derv fan as they are alot slimmer than standerd fella

boomtings1
12-08-11, 09:19 PM
I managed to fit my 1.0l fan to fit i 1.6 rad, the top bolts on the fan fit and just secured the bottom, its a tight fit and managid to put in from top. it was rubbing slightly on bottom cooling hose so i glued abit of spair pipe to where was rubbing to rub into that.

Phil_d
13-08-11, 07:04 PM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/phildgsxr/DSC00298.jpg
Managed to get the 1.0l rad fan to fit with some gentle persuasion:), had to bend the dipstick sube out of the way, bar the engine back a bit even then i had to chop a bit of plastic off the fan with a hacksaw blade. Its rubbing on the bottom coolant hose so i need to sort that out but it works :) thanks to everyone for all the advise :D

Adam
13-08-11, 07:06 PM
Standard gsi fan was fine on my 1.6 16v conversion