PDA

View Full Version : 15x7 revolution rfx

danderv
11-08-11, 01:30 PM
I have just bought some revolution rfx alloys in 7x15 but my problem is they touch the steering rack rod ends and was wondering why this was??I know they are wide but i thought that they would still clear the ends.I have changed the hubs to what i think are cavalier/vectra one.Any help would be great?

Edd
11-08-11, 05:23 PM
What offset are they ?

scott.parker
11-08-11, 05:55 PM
And are you trying these with the car on axle stands?

danderv
11-08-11, 07:42 PM
Apparently they are et49 and they seem to be as the overall width of the wheel is 200mm and the distance from the back face to the hub mounting is 149mm so i make that et49 or is that wrong?A 5mm spacer will make them clear but i am worried about arch clearance.And yes it is on stand scott but i can't see that they would clear on the floor mate as it is touching the outer edge of the rod end not the inner edge where it angles up through being on stands.

Royston
11-08-11, 07:51 PM
To fit what?, sorry for being dim

danderv
11-08-11, 10:20 PM
Nova sport royston

C612DNM
11-08-11, 10:36 PM
I ran/run those very same wheels on my GSi racer. Which began life as a Sport - helping me to 16 wins from 17 starts.... Mine are ex-GMDS, some had a bit of water weed on them where Louise and Tina went for a swim in their Astra....
I use a 25mm spacer at the front to clear the strut, and the ackerman arm (which is tweaked on mine), and I don't use bolts, my wheels are on studs - which I had made 25mm longer than the GMDS works ones that they used on the Astra Gp.A rally car. At the rear, to help clearance on the shocks, I run a 5mm spacer.

Sadly, you can't get them inside the standard arches. The fronts on my car are "stretched" by about and inch - done by cutting them, opening them out, and shaping/filling them. The rears were done by removing the lip, and jacking/stretching the arches to give clearance. Remove the rear springs/shocks to allow easier "lowering" to check for clearance when you get large amounts of travel or if you've got it slammed on the deck!.

The best tyre to use is a 195/50 because it'll keep your final drive ratio about right, and it's the optimum tyre for the 7" rim.

scott.parker
11-08-11, 10:59 PM
Apparently they are et49 and they seem to be as the overall width of the wheel is 200mm and the distance from the back face to the hub mounting is 149mm so i make that et49 or is that wrong?A 5mm spacer will make them clear but i am worried about arch clearance.And yes it is on stand scott but i can't see that they would clear on the floor mate as it is touching the outer edge of the rod end not the inner edge where it angles up through being on stands.

The reason i said about the stand as another lad on here Iain had his car on axle stands and his wheels hit the rod ends lock to lock until he lowered it onto the floor, as the shocks and everything move out under load etc.

but they might just be too wide.

Scott

C612DNM
11-08-11, 11:13 PM
The ET49 Astra spec RFX 7x15's will foul the ackerman arm/track rod end without a spacer. You need about 5mm to clear. It was like that 21 years ago, it'll still be like that now.
If they are the motorsport spec ones, don't run them on bolts - use studs, or it'll end in tears.

danderv
12-08-11, 06:26 AM
Going to order my coilovers to see if they will clear them with 5mm spacers if not they are going up for sale.Thanks for the help everyone

Royston
12-08-11, 06:43 AM
Nova sport royston

I some how knew you were going to say thatlol

Interested to see how they look / fit :thumb:

C612DNM
12-08-11, 07:08 AM
Something like:

http://www.robcomptonracing.com/images/Cadwell91.JPG

nans_nova
12-08-11, 07:15 PM
Look sweet. I've being looking for a set of these and now glad I've not found a set as it look like there more trouble than they are worth. hope u get it sorted as they will look the nuts.

danderv
12-08-11, 07:29 PM
I will take some pics tomorrow and post them and the spokes look flater than those ones.The casting inside says 15x6 but they measure 7 inch between the tyre lips.

C612DNM
12-08-11, 10:40 PM
Mine are the heavy duty rally "Boadicea" specials - which are more rounded on the spokes. There were three specs that I know of - road (pretty average), race (lightweight), rally (chunky!).

The boss in the centre is a lot thicker than the road version - with sleeves in the alloy to run on shouldered studs, compared to the road versions which will work with standard bolts.

Race versions tend to be split-rims. I have some of them in 16", with Ford 4-stud centres. The spokes are pretty well concave, compared to the convex ones on the rally rims.