PDA

View Full Version : Cashing a tax disc in?

adam c
09-08-11, 01:26 PM
Hi the tax is due on the vx220 at the end of month but I was going to use it until end of september and then put it away for winter but if im going to get scammed on cashing it back in I won't bother and just put it away when it runs out so:

Do you get the full amount back minus 1 months tax if you use 1 months tax or do u get a percentage back per remaining month that is left?

Pistol Pete
09-08-11, 03:21 PM
IMO let it run out and put it away!!!

Iain
09-08-11, 03:27 PM
You get a refund for each whole month remaining, think it's all pretty clear on the DVLA site

Prey
09-08-11, 04:40 PM
And it counts from when they decide it does - it took me 2 months to get mine back when they wrote to me because they had read the address wrong - so I wouldn't bother.

adam c
09-08-11, 08:23 PM
Hmm think I'll just put it away at the end of the month then especially if it's gonna be a ballache to try get money back.

Southie
09-08-11, 08:44 PM
Not worth the hassle IMO.

dannyb
12-08-11, 11:57 AM
I expect you've made your mind up on this one mate but I'll put in my experiences in case anyone else is thinking of doing this... a car I was scrapping had 9 months left on it - you have to get a form at the post office, then surrender the filled in form declaring SORN and the tax disc. When DVLA recieve it, they'll work out how many months are left and send you a refund for every month left (I got £153 for 9 months remaining tax from the higher band vehicle). The cheque does take about 2 months to get back to you from sending the disc in but they date it and refund you from when they initially recieve the disc.

TeddyThom
12-08-11, 01:15 PM
Send it back to them first class recorded, they get it next day and have to sign for it. I got mine back just in time to go for the a full 4-5 months bearing in mind I sent it the day before the last day of the month!