PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed on a 1.0l ??

Brasso93
05-08-11, 10:03 PM
i've got a 1.0l 4 speed but it drinks fuel like its going out of fashion so would a 5 speed slow its thirst ??

But would it loose power also ?? :confused:

Andy
05-08-11, 10:05 PM
It wont fit

Brasso93
05-08-11, 10:11 PM
oh :/

Nova_Tek
05-08-11, 10:20 PM
Why is it drinking so much?

Had a 4 speed 1.2 carb and it frequently was getting 40-43 mpg in town. A 1.0 should be getting at least around that. Maybe change your driving style and way you use your gears. You shouldn't need a 5th gear to get good economy.

Example: my dad is used to cruising along at low speeds in high gears (when driving larger bigger engined cars) but he drives the same when he uses the SR and gets rubbish mpg. I'm used to driving small engined Novas, so when I drive I do it totally differently using more revs and more of the gear and I get so much more mpg than he does. If we're going out somewhere and we use the Nova he tells me to drive lol

Brasso93
05-08-11, 10:22 PM
hahaha its not the fuel problem im worried about because i do put my toe down when i can lol its mostly the power i'll be thrashing the googlies off it and i go for 5th and its not there and apparently it saves fuel so i thought if i dont loose power and save fuel may aswel get 5 speed box

Nova_Tek
05-08-11, 10:25 PM
Ok well that's a different matter, the way you worded your original post it seemed like it was drinking fuel all together.

You never mentioned you were planting it. As Borat would put it... "naughty naughty!" lol

Brasso93
05-08-11, 10:29 PM
haha it does drink like no tomorrow even when im not gunning it but thats just because the carbs abit sticky and it sticks wide open and nearly floods lol

marc69
05-08-11, 10:31 PM
a 5 speed box was an option when they were first made 83-85.
I drive my 1.0 pretty hrad, on a long journey you should get about 50 mpg and in town 37mpg. It will be thirsty if the car isn't set up right?

Nova_Tek
05-08-11, 10:31 PM
haha it does drink like no tomorrow even when im not gunning it but thats just because the carbs abit sticky and it sticks wide open and nearly floods lol

^ there's your answer then. Sort that out and then see what it's like ;)

Brasso93
05-08-11, 10:34 PM
yeah but i want another gear lol and its not everyday stickyness just if its not run in a couple days so i need to avoid holidays and none driving weekends to save fuel lol lol lol lol

mowgli
05-08-11, 11:31 PM
1. get it serviced & maybe a carb rebuild...
2. swapping an f10 5 speed cluster into the 4 speed housing is an hours work....you need to swap the output gears over with a puller
3. BUT it really won't pull a very tall top gear, even on the level.