PDA

View Full Version : SRI clocks on a Merit

joesturdy
05-08-11, 11:47 AM
Is it a big job to fit clocks such as the ones below to a 1.2 Merit that currently has no rev counter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Nova-MK-2-SRI-Dash-Clocks-/270794247383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0c984cd7

Thanks!

mk1nova_rich
05-08-11, 11:54 AM
Sometimes they plug straight in and work, sometimes you have to run a new wire from the multiplug on the back of the clocks to the coil negative. If the wire is there already it will be light green

marc69
05-08-11, 11:57 AM
If your car is a mk1, the multi plug on the back is a different size to the mk2 plugs.

You can get a mk1 multi plug and cut wiring etc, but easier to use mk1 clocks.

The mk2 cars have the wire already in the multi plug, just fit and go, mk1s need the additional wire mentioned above.

joesturdy
05-08-11, 01:16 PM
Excellent, it's a mk2 so sounds like the wiring should be there, I'll have look later on!

On another note, my Nova has done about 50k and I've seen some other clocks (with black dials instead of white) that I like but they've got much higher mileage, whats the easiest way to wind them back? Or should I just look for some with roughly the same mileage?

mk1nova_rich
05-08-11, 01:48 PM
When I fitted SR dials to my Mk1 I took the original speedo and fitted it into the SR dials to retain the correct mileage. It was just a case of swapping the faceplates as the non-rev counter speedo has a larger faceplate.

The only tricky bit is removing and refitting the speedo needle. TRy and find a method of holding the spindle still so you can lever the needle off, swap the faceplates then refit the needle :thumb:

joesturdy
05-08-11, 02:19 PM
Good plan, cheers pal!

mk1nova_rich
05-08-11, 02:21 PM
Sending you a PM Joe