PDA

View Full Version : Getting a reference from current job?

wwmnw
03-08-11, 09:43 PM
Seeing as my current job is the only job I've ever had, who's name do I put on the application form in front of me? Hopefully not my store manager as shes currently got me suspended on full pay, does it get addressed to head office or the store I work in? Sainsburys convenience store btw.

Andy
03-08-11, 09:45 PM
Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn is all i'll say...........

wwmnw
03-08-11, 09:47 PM
In English?

John
03-08-11, 09:47 PM
I've always used my immediate manager (service manager motor trade) If you've been suspended i wouldn't expect a good reference tbf lol

Mike
03-08-11, 09:48 PM
Doesnt matter about being suspended, an employer or ex employer cannot give a bad reference due legal grounds.

See here for more info:

http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/money-and-legal/references

Andy
03-08-11, 09:48 PM
Well put it this way,ive written peoples names down for refs who havent been as high ranking as what i said lol
Friends etc.
It really doesnt matter-its illegal to write a bad ref anyway

John
03-08-11, 09:49 PM
Also says there not obliged to give one..........

Andy
03-08-11, 09:50 PM
Indeed,the general rule is "if you aint got owt nice to say-then dont say owt at all.."

Mike
03-08-11, 09:50 PM

Yep, unfortunatly refusing to give a reference normally indicates the person in qeustion was a @unt lol

On the flip side, I now work PAYE for Fujitsu, they asked if I can supply references, which I couldnt, didnt bother them at all.

Andy
03-08-11, 09:52 PM
Yep, unfortunatly refusing to give a reference normally indicates the person in qeustion was a @unt lol
Not always,i had a "to do" shall we say with an ex employer and explained the situation,he spoke to me like a ding all the time and had nay respect for anyone-they didnt mind i'd threatened to wrap a spade around his head lol lol lol

wwmnw
03-08-11, 09:52 PM
Hence the reason I'm not sure what address to put on it, my shop with my store managers name, or head office.

Andy
03-08-11, 09:53 PM
A phone number will be fine-or even "on request",they will contact you at least if theyre really interested

Mike
03-08-11, 09:53 PM
Not always,i had a "to do" shall we say with an ex employer and explained the situation,he spoke to me like a ding all the time and had nay respect for anyone-they didnt mind i'd threatened to wrap a spade around his head lol lol lol

Exactly, its not always bad if you explain a situation, but hearing one side of a biased story for example, its never gonna go down well lol

Give them the HR dept address for Head Office? Thats what Id do.

Andy
03-08-11, 09:54 PM
Exactly, its not always bad if you explain a situation, but hearing one side of a biased story for example, its never gonna go down well lol
"he were a grade 1 ****,he threatened to bray me and wheelspan gravel all over my car" doesnt sound good i agree lol

Mike
03-08-11, 09:56 PM
"he were a grade 1 ****,he threatened to bray me and wheelspan gravel all over my car" doesnt sound good i agree lol

LOL shouldve curled out a Mr Whippy on his bonnet :)

Andy
03-08-11, 09:58 PM
LMFAO,ok "he were a grade 1 cunnt,he threatened to bray me then proceeded to relieve himself of excrement all over my car" lol lol lol

wwmnw
03-08-11, 09:59 PM
The boss doesn't really like me as I wont bow down and kiss her **** like every ****er else does, my history isn't the best and I imagine she'd probably over write the truth a little to make me sound worse so I don't want her to write it lol

Mike
03-08-11, 10:01 PM
The boss doesn't really like me as I wont bow down and kiss her **** like every ****er else does, my history isn't the best and I imagine she'd probably over write the truth a little to make me sound worse so I don't want her to write it lol

Put "References avaliable on reqeust" on the app form for new job then. They wont reqeust one I garantee it.

wwmnw
03-08-11, 10:03 PM
Put "References avaliable on reqeust" on the app form for new job then. They wont reqeust one I garantee it.

Why wouldn't they? I've put one down just need to either put my current job down or find someone else lol not too sure what this job entails either tbh anyone know about these http://www.clearwaydrainageuk.com/contact.asp

Danny s-p
03-08-11, 10:08 PM
all the stuf they do is listed on the side driane cleaners by the looks of things

wwmnw
03-08-11, 10:09 PM
all the stuf they do is listed on the side driane cleaners by the looks of things
I know they clean drains, I'm asking if anyone has experience with them.

Danny s-p
03-08-11, 10:10 PM
or right sorry andrew

Mike
03-08-11, 10:10 PM
Why wouldn't they? I've put one down just need to either put my current job down or find someone else lol not too sure what this job entails either tbh anyone know about these http://www.clearwaydrainageuk.com/contact.asp

Because its more work. My CV has always said Refs on Req since I left school (2001?) an Ive never been contact to ask for more details regarding refs.

wwmnw
03-08-11, 10:11 PM
or right sorry andrew

No worrys gimpster

Jack
03-08-11, 10:14 PM
As said, you can't give a crap reference, so don't worry about it. They'll also only get references after they offer you a job.

If it was a big national company, put down your HR dept. If you don't know the address, put down the name of your general manager.

Or, if they're not asking for referee details, just put references available on request.

wwmnw
03-08-11, 10:17 PM
They're asking for names address phone number and occupation, should have mentioned that before now lol Sainsburys is a big national company tbh so I'll put the HR dep down just need to find a name now lol

Jack
03-08-11, 10:19 PM
If they insist on a name, then go with the store manager. I suspect company policy would be for management to forward reference requests on to HR anyway

Mike
03-08-11, 10:20 PM
You dont need a name, just put "HR Dept" Sainsburys Plc etc etc

Andy
03-08-11, 10:21 PM
Just put mikes name there lol

JShannon
03-08-11, 10:23 PM
I Have always put my aunt down as a reference, because shes a professional and all that jibberish (with a different surname may i add) lol, but she has never once been contacted and i have had an awful lot of jobs!

Mike
03-08-11, 10:24 PM
Just put mikes name there lol

Awesome idea! Ill send them an awesome ref :)

"Has very good ability to participate in team working exercises such as ram raiding, necrophilia & removing car audio equipment during late shifts".

MK999
03-08-11, 10:26 PM
Mike is writing all my Refs. in future :cool:

Mike
03-08-11, 10:30 PM
Mike is writing all my Refs. in future :cool:

Ironically at Jitsu in my interview they asked me if I know much about audio equipment, losses & gains lol lol lol lol

wwmnw
03-08-11, 10:33 PM
I've never been keen on necrophilia unless I'm drunk, cold bodies are a bit of a turn off, after a few whiskeys I tend not to notice.

I'm also surprised a lot of company's don't actually get the references.

MK999
03-08-11, 10:47 PM
Ironically at Jitsu in my interview they asked me if I know much about audio equipment, losses & gains lol lol lol lol

"Well hactually I find shifting them on ebay creates the greatest gain, there isn't really much of a loss except to the horiginal owners lol"