PDA

View Full Version : tax online

24sevenslacker
03-08-11, 04:54 PM
if i buy tax online can i drive my car straight away?

Royston
03-08-11, 05:01 PM
I have done, technically there is a fine for none display of a valid tax disc, at least the ANPR should be updated quickly so the Plods don't pull you, never had it happen.

Stuart
03-08-11, 05:01 PM
'technically' yes, BUT its illegal to not display the tax disc.

24sevenslacker
03-08-11, 05:04 PM
ok, cheers, waste of time anyway, its coming up as my car isnt insured on the database, ****ers

bazil
03-08-11, 05:10 PM
print off a copy of the page when its taxed online and keep it in the car till you get your disc, ive done that before, just saves hassle if stopped.

Royston
03-08-11, 05:12 PM

There is an exemption if done on line for the 1st 5 days month, see below

Displaying your tax disc

Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN

Source below

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514

Andy
03-08-11, 05:25 PM
Just ask rich to tax it tommy

TeddyThom
03-08-11, 08:31 PM

You get round that because it is on the system. You get about 5 working days. I had this when I taxed my nova, I got pulled and got asked about my tax, I explained it was in the post, you get a confirmation email. Print that and carry it with you til the tax disc turns up, it has a reference number on it that can be checked on the DVLA database.

EDIT: Royston beat me to it lol