PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem

Daiedmunds
01-08-11, 08:50 PM
Hi I need some help

The nova wont start, ive got a new battery, cleaned all the earths, changed terminals and nothing, the ignition all comes on as normal and when you turn the key the last bit the lights dim a bit and nothing. Im thinking its the starter or solenoid? if so what one do I have? its a c25xe with f20 box and redtop flywheel. Cheers Dai

mowgli
01-08-11, 09:00 PM
check the earths.

try shorting out the solenoid when the ign is on.

that way, you'll know if the ign switch is shot or not.

these bigger engines don't have an extra starter relay, do they???

MK999
01-08-11, 09:03 PM
Lights dimming will be current draw from the motor probably, tried giving the motor a good whack to free it off?

Daiedmunds
01-08-11, 09:04 PM
The engine is so tight in there i cant even find the starter

mowgli
01-08-11, 09:05 PM
is the new battery actyually charged up?

Daiedmunds
01-08-11, 09:05 PM
ye fully chargedive even tried a booster on it

mowgli
01-08-11, 09:07 PM
right. then there is definitely another problem. you will only find the starter by jacking the car up & looking in above the rh driveshaft.

Daiedmunds
01-08-11, 09:13 PM
any ideas what starter is on there?

mowgli
01-08-11, 09:17 PM
just get the one you have tested by a decent auto electrics bloke.

Nobby
01-08-11, 10:21 PM
this isnt my old v6 is it lol H reg red gsi shell on 5 stud cav turbo wheels?

as said possibly fuked starter only thing i would reccomend for a bad eath is put a jump lead from the block to the neg battery terminal and this will rule out a bad earth if its no better. The starter is under the rear manifold and tbh is a bit of a cnut to get to but you should just about be able to get to it :thumb:

pikey1986
02-08-11, 12:31 AM
this isnt my old v6 is it lol H reg red gsi shell on 5 stud cav turbo wheels?

as said possibly fuked starter only thing i would reccomend for a bad eath is put a jump lead from the block to the neg battery terminal and this will rule out a bad earth if its no better. The starter is under the rear manifold and tbh is a bit of a cnut to get to but you should just about be able to get to it :thumb:

iirc its the black gsi thats not long gone up for sale