PDA

View Full Version : horn stopped working

solly
01-08-11, 06:19 PM
the horn is not working on my nova you can hear the relay clicking i was wondering is it the relay thats had it or the horn checked all the conections they seem fine cheers in advance for a reply

Nobby
02-08-11, 05:54 PM
fuse?

AndrewJenkins
02-08-11, 06:25 PM
tap the horn with a harmer (dont wack it through the car) just tap it while a friend holds the horn if it starts to make a noise you know the horns either stuck or on its way out

Phil_d
02-08-11, 06:38 PM
If you have a multimeter or know someone with one, check for 12v at the connections, if it has its the horn if not its something else.

C612DNM
11-08-11, 11:34 PM
Don't forget that the horn wire to the button is live, and the button grounds it to make it go beep.
Earlier horns don't have a relay, they are just a live feed in, then the one out to the column/button. So a check with a meter will/should show 12v on both terminals when checked against earth. If it doesn't, (only one terminal has 12v) then the hooter is fubar.

A common fault is the earth strap to the steering column fails, when that happens, it'll meep no more.

Jon_nova1
13-08-11, 09:24 AM
Clean the terminals on the horn, that was my problem

marc69
13-08-11, 09:57 AM
test with another horn, i had one which started dieing and sounded as though it was in pain, getting ready for MOT, I had bought a replacement (for £1 from the scrappy, a lot of different car ones will fit) but put some wd40 in the actual horn first......it worked after a wee while although hearing the strangled cat version before was funny.

solly
13-08-11, 04:50 PM
spent hours messing with it then a mate came round and said did you take the battery of recently as the live for the horn was never connected back up what a fool i am lol