PDA

View Full Version : Joining a union

tony k
01-08-11, 03:24 PM
Hi peeps Been looking round at joining a union,never knew the was so many
also the price of them aswell,was loolong at one called urtu.com,as I'm a lorry driver seems like the one suited to my job,but thought I would ask you guys first,see if any of you are in one

Alex J
01-08-11, 03:32 PM
i hate unions, only good if you want to go on strike, witch solves nothing IMO.

wwmnw
01-08-11, 04:20 PM
I'm a member of usdaw and they've helped me got my job back in 2007 for unfair dismissal and I'm currently suspended on full pay so for "gross misconduct" (aka being sick at work but they're accusing me of being drunk because they saw me hungover 6 hours before my shift) so I'm using them again, I only pay about £5 odd pence a month and I'm glad to do so.

Jack
01-08-11, 04:36 PM
£11 a month puts me in PCS - they're generally pretty useless, but I've never had to use them as yet. My sister has though, and they were good with her.

pete17
01-08-11, 04:47 PM
im in unison and they have brilliant in the times ive needed them , even got us all at work around 5k back pay when they changed our contracts

thedjse
01-08-11, 05:38 PM
Not in any keep getting offered to join Unison but i work for the council fat lot of good they did when my pay went down and 1000 people took redundancy

tony k
01-08-11, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys so what's a good one to go with then as there are loads around

raymond
01-08-11, 07:45 PM
Im in a union and can honestly say they are a waste of time most of the time.

Although they did help me when I needed family friendly hours and my work refuse point plank

Union inn work gave in happy days

Pistol Pete
01-08-11, 07:52 PM
IMO they are a waste of time. Caused us quite abit of agro at work. So much so some de-recognition of the union is underway!

mowgli
01-08-11, 08:22 PM
1. do you feel oppressed?
2. do you feel underpaid?
3. do you feel overworked?
4. do you already have a trade union at your place of work?
5. who do you work for??? large national type or small type of company???
6. do you have an overwhelming desire for a large proportion of your weekly subs to go directly to the labour party, you know, the people who got this country into the right old mess that it is in, and they still want all freight to go on railways so the rail unions money keeps coming in, & they put thru tons of crap legislation that makes the life of a lorry driver worse than ever it was before..like driver cpc, minimum wage, european working hours directives, london charging, the fuel price escalator etc...

if you still don't think you can go & see your boss to sort out any problems that you have, and need some union rep to do it for you, then try the transport & general workers union (now called UNITE). it googles.

Stuart
01-08-11, 09:01 PM
if you really really really 'must' then join the one that your workplace already deals with...

if you have half a brain then you wont join one.
Unions were useful back in the 70's and 80's to get a lot of employment law sorted, and as such now they are useless since a business will simply push through the changes in 90days to suit their needs anyway.

mowgli
01-08-11, 09:12 PM
british trade unions are anti progress. considering the mess this country is in, they still think a mass strike will bring a government down... PAH.. the miners strike was directly funded & organised by soviet russia to bring the british government to its knees & all it did was lose us yet another industry.....the british car industry was the largest in the world in the 60's. now look at it....

in germany, the unions actually own shares in the large companies... it serves them to sort out the workers & management, as it makes everyone more money... in the uk, it doesn't happen

Southie
01-08-11, 09:15 PM
Don't bother joining a union IMO a waste of time, your company will find a way of getting rid of you if you dispute any company ways.

Stuart
01-08-11, 09:24 PM
british trade unions are anti progress. considering the mess this country is in, they still think a mass strike will bring a government down... PAH.. the miners strike was directly funded & organised by soviet russia to bring the british government to its knees & all it did was lose us yet another industry.....the british car industry was the largest in the world in the 60's. now look at it....

in germany, the unions actually own shares in the large companies... it serves them to sort out the workers & management, as it makes everyone more money... in the uk, it doesn't happen

German unions are worse than UK ones ime... AMG paid double time for a project team to 'have a holiday' in Spain to get a car finished in time for launch because the unions stopped extra work hours even with triple time offers and acceptance from the workforce!

Lewis.
01-08-11, 09:33 PM
i wouldn't bother tbh, they just seem generally useless. I'm not a member of any, and it's actually written into my contract that union membership = P45. most employers just see you as a trouble making git

Hobbit
01-08-11, 09:34 PM
I've never seen the point in giving up my hard earned money to a union. Just get on with your job and dont take the piss and you will never need them.

tony k
01-08-11, 10:14 PM
Right this is the story,we changed company's called a tupe or something like that,co
all my contact stays the same,the thing is I was not well a week after we moved there,went into work and got a disciplinary,as they said from July to may I had been off for 10 days sick,which I had a accident at our old place,was off for 5 days,but our old work haven't told them,then I was off last week(doctor signed me off for a week)got doctors letter aswell,got in work today and they have issued me with another one,so how do I stand with this as I have got a medical condition,my old place knows about it,but again ain't passed the information on again,basically they want people working there with no health issues

That's why I was thinking of joining a union,see if they could help me out

mowgli
01-08-11, 10:19 PM
bugger involving a union, get in touch with the citizens advice bureau(CAB) then they can refer you to an employment law solicitor for a free consultation.

ask your doctors for copy letters, ask your old HR dept for documentation too.

Southie
01-08-11, 10:24 PM
Doctors letters are a must but do you get sick paye, otherwise £60 a week statutory is not going to cover anything at all.

Stuart
01-08-11, 10:26 PM
bugger involving a union, get in touch with the citizens advice bureau(CAB) then they can refer you to an employment law solicitor for a free consultation.

ask your doctors for copy letters, ask your old HR dept for documentation too.

^ agreed, but bypass CAB and go straight to an employment solicitor.

Jack
01-08-11, 11:09 PM
Are you an outsourced civil servant?

tony k
02-08-11, 09:11 AM

No I'm not jack,gonna phone citizens advice today see what they say

tony k
02-08-11, 09:13 AM

No I'm not jack,gonna phone citizens advice today see what they say

Jack
02-08-11, 11:20 AM
Ah ok, its just the TUPE flicked my lights on - I got outsourced from the civil service not long ago, and have a TUPE agreement covering my current terms and conditions.

I'm actually in a very similar boat - as I have regular medical appointments, it pushes me over the 14 day point we have for pinging HR about excessive time off. Doesn't help the fact that the time recording system (unlike in the CS) makes no differentiation for hospital appointments etc, its all recorded as "sick leave" :roll:

I'd ask them to confirm why you were being disciplined - they can't count a certified absence (i.e. with a doctors note/medical cert) as unauthorised, especially if its for a pre-determined medical condition

tony k
02-08-11, 01:26 PM
I've asked them in my last one,the guy who gave me
The disciplinary said they don't tolerate illnesses,said I wanted that in writing but am still waiting,will ask again tomorrow again,the thing is all this stress they are giving me us starting make me I'll again

mowgli
02-08-11, 02:14 PM
it is actually illegal for the man to take that attitude. also ask for a copy of their sickness policy.

tony k
02-08-11, 07:52 PM
Thanks mowgli didn't think of that

I know it sounds stupid,but has anyone got any questions that I can put forward to them for tomorrow

Jack
02-08-11, 08:24 PM
As mowglers said, ask for a copy of their sickness policy (make sure its the TUPE conditions) - it'll probably be buried in a plethora of general employment conditions, but at least you can take it to a solicitor and see what they make of it.

Also ask them to explain what they mean by "don't tolerate illness", as firing or disciplining someone purely because they've been signed off by a doctor is a massive no-no for employee treatment.

And do you have a copy of your old employment T&Cs, or job advert? As if they needed someone physically fit, it should have stated that in the advert or terms of reference. Proving the job can be done by someone with whatever ailment you suffer from would be where the union or solicitor would come in handy too.

tony k
03-08-11, 05:22 PM
Well had my disciplinary today,was a total waste of time,he said that my medical health is not a illness,I've had it since I was 6 months old,plus got a nhs card to prove that I have a illness,also why did the doctor sign me off for a week,I said are you a doctor then,saying the time I have had off is not illness related,how can he say that,don't know what he is on but he ain't on this planet lol

Well he was ment to come to me with a decision in the afternoon,but never did

Plus the best part of it is I had doctors today,they have signed menoff again as it's strafing to come back up,like before,will have to tell him the good news in abit

Stuart
04-08-11, 09:50 AM
Ossum, your boss knows nothing about employment law, get a solicitor to write a letter for you and get on with kickin his ass. Might cost you £150 BUT well worth it and keeps you away from the even coontier folks whom are the unions.

mowgli
04-08-11, 03:39 PM
as mowglers said, ask for a copy of their sickness policy (make sure its the tupe conditions) - it'll probably be buried in a plethora of general employment conditions, but at least you can take it to a solicitor and see what they make of it.

Also ask them to explain what they mean by "don't tolerate illness", as firing or disciplining someone purely because they've been signed off by a doctor is a massive no-no for employee treatment.

And do you have a copy of your old employment t&cs, or job advert? As if they needed someone physically fit, it should have stated that in the advert or terms of reference. Proving the job can be done by someone with whatever ailment you suffer from would be where the union or solicitor would come in handy too.

jack, you can't, by law, actually advertise for somebody who it physically fit & healthy...... We placed an ad with the job centre, and had it thrown out for age & disability discrimination.....
We wanted an older bloke to drive a van on regular work, that involved lifting..... But we couldn't actually say that!!!!!!