PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts- Grrrrr!!!!

Paul
05-07-03, 07:55 PM
Had a go at fitting my exhaust today. Absoloute fcuking bollox. Made me mad. :evil:

First of all, I angle grinded the whole system of from the middle box right back. then chopped it into little bits to make easier. Which I thought was a good idea at the time but left me with no fecking template.

Then I used the stainless steel pole which I bought yestaday and had to guesstimate where the bracket should go, not too bad up to this point. Used a welder which I bought yestaday for the first time ever and did a nice solid first weld. Very strong and not to bad a positioning.

So I had one hanger for the main pole which replaced the middle box, in good position. Next came the hard bit...

I had to weld on the S-bend to make the new pole reach up and over the rear axle, this caused me so many problems. In the end te weld snapped and I ended up using exhaust putty and exhaust bandage for this bend.

With all this in position, I realised I left of a clamp for the joint where the original exhaust met the stainless sytsem, So it was a case of more exhaust putty.

I got so annoyed because both joints were blowing that I am left with just to the S-bend over the rear axle, I've got the exhaust to get on and seal all the blows.

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I will have it finished. Fingers crossed.

Some advice, don't pick up red hot glowing metal. lol. Also- I hate universal back boxes. NEVER again.

techie
05-07-03, 08:01 PM
lol. This is why its best left to the pro's

Chances are even after all this naffing around it will still blow and knock and youll need to get a propper one anyhow.

Paul
05-07-03, 08:04 PM
The main pipe isn't knocking, thats fine, it's well tight, If it blows, I'm simply just going to use more exhaust putty.

Nova-Boy
06-07-03, 12:40 AM
lol. This is why its best left to the pro's

Chances are even after all this naffing around it will still blow and knock and youll need to get a propper one anyhow.

Well thats gonna make him feel better!! lol :lol:

Hope you get it sorted! Good luck.

brian
06-07-03, 01:03 AM
After all the engines i have fiited i have never and will never do exhausts. best left to a place that does that full time. if its not done right it won't last plus i hate messin with them!

Paul
06-07-03, 11:55 AM
I know I can sort it, so far I have managed to sort everything on my car, it will come out ok. It's just being a pain in the arse at the moment.

Cheers Nova Boy. Some one else try and boost my confidence :?

Nova-Boy
06-07-03, 11:22 PM
No problem. Hoep you get it sorted. :wink:

dave.gsi
06-07-03, 11:46 PM
my sportex exhaust knocks and rattles where it hits the rear axle. really starting to piss me off now

Ben (lurk75)
07-07-03, 12:16 AM
got to agree with him again (Brian) :roll:

If an exhaust isnt fitted correctly you will lose power, MPG and it will sound awful.

And for the cost off it get it done correctly, if it goes wrong you can throw it back at them.

SaraGSi
07-07-03, 02:33 AM
I had a full Scorpion exhaust fitted about a year ago & i had a m.o.t last week & according to the the garage that fitted the exhaust its blowing from all the joints and losing power (I wondered why its sounds naff!!! :!: ) so basically they messed up on fitting the exhaust & quoted me over a ?100 to fix it!!! :evil: garages try & rip women off :cry:

My b/f has a magnex full system and it sounds so good i want 1 plus the end pipe looks phat and is huge!!! lol!!! :lol: :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
07-07-03, 07:42 AM
I have a full magnex for sale :lol:

dave.gsi
07-07-03, 08:27 AM
?100 to fix3/4 joints which are blowing. wow :o