PDA

View Full Version : Sound proofing

Pete
27-07-11, 02:43 PM
A friend recommended that I removed the sound proofing from my nova, when I asked why he said I don't know, but alot of people do it........

What's the actual point in removing it?

RossRog
27-07-11, 02:50 PM
i've seen it hold water on some cars, mainly french cars

Iain
27-07-11, 02:54 PM
Which sound proofing? The thick fabric stuff can hold water in the front footwells, and the tar like stuff on the floorpan is generally removed for weight saving on track cars.

Edd
27-07-11, 02:59 PM
think there's squares of it in the doors and rear quarters as well

Pete
27-07-11, 03:01 PM
There's the squares of it in the front, and then the whole boot and rear seat bit is covered in it,
Does it dramatically affect the noise levels? Or just a tad bit?

simonm
27-07-11, 03:16 PM
Think most of the sound proofing is removed to try cut down on flamible bits and pieces for track use but for a road car I'd leave it in as the droning sound on long journeys get a bit tedious with noisy exhausts and stuff that's my opinion as my last nova I removed most of it and was sorry afterwards

mowgli
27-07-11, 04:05 PM
its yet another alleged performance mod...... on a professional race or rally car, it is stripped for weight saving, and the shell is usually acid dipped to get rid of all sealant, sound deadening etc, and a small amount of the actual metal... the roll cage then adds so much strength that the loss of metal is negligible.

on a road or track car, you get deafened & save the same weight as a half decent bowel movement. it also takes an age to do properly... but if it is the look you want, then go for it.

MK1_Ben
27-07-11, 04:18 PM
What Mowgli said really.

It can be absolute hell to remove, sometimes it chips off nicely though. It's mainly stripped on Track/Rally cars as it's flammable, the actual weight saving is minimal.

In regards to the sound, it does make a difference to road noise, but in a Nova you probably won't notice it anyway as they aren't the most luxurious of cars inside ;)

Pete
27-07-11, 05:58 PM
So far the hastle of doing all the elbow grease on removing it, it's not actualy beneficial in anyway if it's going to be a road car..
Look wise it don't really bother me as it's going to be covered in carpet, so it seems a very useless mod to me.

Thanks for the reply tho guys :) appreciated

mowgli
27-07-11, 06:31 PM
think of it like this.....if some lad was daft enough to remove all of it, he wouldn't exactly go round telling everyone how stupid an idea it was....

jeremy fisher
28-07-11, 06:28 PM
I was surprised how much it weighed, removed mine just from the front footwells and bagged it up and there was a good few kilos. Though as said a very large poop could do that!

novaboyopr
28-07-11, 10:46 PM
What Mowgli said really.

It can be absolute hell to remove, sometimes it chips off nicely though. It's mainly stripped on Track/Rally cars as it's flammable, the actual weight saving is minimal.

In regards to the sound, it does make a difference to road noise, but in a Nova you probably won't notice it anyway as they aren't the most luxurious of cars inside ;)

have you acutally taken it out before the tar stuff comes off with abit of heat and when all put in a bag wieghts a good 5kg. i put all mine in a bag when i took it off, it does wieght alot and in a track car im not to worried about noise but didnt really hear a difference

just read if your putting carpet over it dont worry about it lad, if it was stripped i would say take it out as it doesnt like paint and looks poo to.

Bubba
28-07-11, 10:50 PM
I was surprised how much it weighed, removed mine just from the front footwells and bagged it up and there was a good few kilos. Though as said a very large poop could do that!

false...dont ask me how but we keep testing this at work (bored much). stand on scales....poop....stand on scales. it very very rarely ever drops (its in 1kg increments)

MK1_Ben
28-07-11, 10:52 PM
have you acutally taken it out before the tar stuff comes off with abit of heat and when all put in a bag wieghts a good 5kg.

I was going off when I used to prep Rally cars, cars considerably larger than a Nova had nowhere near 5kg of tar...

paul james
28-07-11, 10:56 PM
The firewall rubber sound proofing weighs a lot, I was very surprised when I ripped all mine off at how much it weighed when bagged up.

Lewis.
28-07-11, 11:00 PM
false...dont ask me how but we keep testing this at work (bored much). stand on scales....poop....stand on scales. it very very rarely ever drops (its in 1kg increments)

you have to get off the scales before you poo for it to work though lol

novaboyopr
28-07-11, 11:03 PM
added with the rubber foam stuff its pushing near 5kg, anyway it a track car every bit of wieght helps when its a nova.

mowgli
29-07-11, 10:08 PM
5kg / 700 odd kg of a roadgoing nova is..... wait for it.... a 0.7% weight saving....... just run it with less fuel & you've gained the same

Andy
29-07-11, 10:52 PM
I bet 5 kg's could be achieved by doing these free mods to YOURSELF
have a shave,thats ALL body hair...
Have a crap till you get piles,
Wring your balls out till your completely spent
Piss every last drop out
Make yourself vomit your brekkie up

I guarantee thats easy the same weight

Iain
29-07-11, 10:54 PM
But do all of the above AND remove the sound deadening and you're saved loads!

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:02 PM
But do all of the above AND remove the sound deadening and you're saved loads!

no, you will have shaved, shat, weed, knocked one out, got bulimia & then gone deaf....

Iain
29-07-11, 11:10 PM
And ever so slightly faster.

Edd
29-07-11, 11:15 PM
Tbh if you have a mk2 and you removed all of the soundproof, front and back footwells, under rear seats, inside rear quarters, spare wheel well and the rubber bit from behind the dash that's going to be nearly 10kg

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:16 PM
And ever so slightly faster.

nope, cos you'll need a sleep then a fry up

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:17 PM
Tbh if you have a mk2 and you removed all of the soundproof, front and back footwells, under rear seats, inside rear quarters, spare wheel well and the rubber bit from behind the dash that's going to be nearly 10kg

or just slam each door a couple of times to get the same effect

Edd
29-07-11, 11:27 PM
If 10kg fell out of your doors you wouldn't have any :eek: lol

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:31 PM
i carried a complete door out of last years winter vboa autojumble.......300yds to baxters van... i needed kendal mint cake & a nurse

MK999
29-07-11, 11:32 PM
5kg / 700 odd kg of a roadgoing nova is..... wait for it.... a 0.7% weight saving....... just run it with less fuel & you've gained the same

gain 0.7% a couple hundred times though, and you have Colins nova. No one ever builds a fast/competent car with half hours work on one thing.

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:34 PM
but in terms of time spent (and time really is money) removing sound deadening is about the most expensive tuning mod

Edd
29-07-11, 11:37 PM
If you heat up the soundproof it comes of in one chunk, so 2hrs max electric to save 10kg ain't that bad lol

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:40 PM
2hrs??? really... and removing the bumper steels takes 5mins..

paul james
29-07-11, 11:41 PM
When I painted the inside of my Nova the sound proofing in the footwells came out real easy. Used a hair drier on it, and just peeled it off in big chunks. Its worth ripping out just to see what rust could be hiding beneath it, you could always stick down some replacement stuff afterwards if you really feel the need.

MK999
29-07-11, 11:43 PM
but in terms of time spent (and time really is money) removing sound deadening is about the most expensive tuning mod

Not really, I can't think of many other places that you can save 10kg or so in a couple of hours with basic tools. If you're taking garage rates as your monetary value it's £100 or so, fibregless panels (you'll need 2 or 3) will be a few times more, polycarbs will be about £150, and would probably save 10kg or more I guess. So unless you're a top class lawyer it's well worth doing.

mowgli
29-07-11, 11:57 PM
its definitely on the diminishing returns list

i'd still love to see anyone who could strip it out of a nova & leave no trace within 2hrs

MK999
30-07-11, 12:14 AM
its definitely on the diminishing returns list

i'd still love to see anyone who could strip it out of a nova & leave no trace within 2hrs

I've got a picture somewhere, or did have, of a complete footwell piece, that took me all of 5 minutes to remove. I did my entire car in under an hour.