PDA

View Full Version : Dash Dodging Rollcage

Tim
25-07-11, 07:10 PM
im on the look out for a 6 point cage for the nova. its going to be stripped in the rear so thats fine.

What make of cages sit in front of the dash as opposed to going through them. I have a mk2 dash if that makes any difference.

Also if anyone has one for sale let me know. condition not imfortant as ill get it powdercoated anyway.

thanks in advance.

Iain
25-07-11, 07:16 PM
Safety Devices, Rollcentre, think OMP ones too.

Sturge
25-07-11, 07:55 PM
Any one that mounts to nothing solid at the front :)

brucer
25-07-11, 07:55 PM
omp do, i have one.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z24/bachilds1988/DSCN4462-1.jpg

MK999
25-07-11, 08:06 PM
99% of them do, try and find one that doesn't, now that's actually hard lol

Adam
25-07-11, 08:12 PM
My safety devices one clears mk1 dash, just.

Iain
25-07-11, 08:21 PM
99% of them do, try and find one that doesn't, now that's actually hard lol

Better design to go behind the dash anyway isn't it? Keeps it closer to the A pillar...

MK999
25-07-11, 08:26 PM
Better design to go behind the dash anyway isn't it? Keeps it closer to the A pillar...

Yep, same as it's better to tie into the strut tops rather than the wheelarches, weld rather than bolt, triangulate to the front, use proper full door crosses that actually hit solid points, etc etc.... Most bolt in cages are designed to be cheap easy to fit and work ok-ish.

Tim
25-07-11, 10:33 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info. Just gotta find one for sale now.

L33 LEG
27-07-11, 02:09 PM
As said, Safety Devices ones dodge the dash and i have one in my nova now which you can buy. PM if you're interested.

Danny s-p
28-07-11, 09:46 PM
gareth_c safety devices one don't it well in to the dash mk2

novaboyopr
28-07-11, 10:41 PM
bit harsh to say there designed to work ok-ish
alrite there not multipoint or anything but they wouldnt be FIA approved if they were weak.
a standard 6 point with stiffen up a nova enough and after a certain point it wont get any stiffer your just adding for strength in a crash.

get a safety devices 6 point mate really good cages and they do fit a mk2 dash they just push up against it.

MK999
28-07-11, 11:07 PM
a standard 6 point with stiffen up a nova enough and after a certain point it wont get any stiffer your just adding for strength in a crash.

That's utter crap to be quite honest, after a certain point it will get stiffer rather than addingg strength for crash situations, it will always get stiffer for more material whereas there is a point at which it will survive a 200+ mph crash in the worst way and not need to be any stronger, in fact most cages are designed to deform in an accident to use energy, hence why cages are CDS mild rather than a higher Young Modulus, higher UTS, lower impact strength, but more brittle material, like a hardened steel.

Compared to a properly designed cage bolt ins which attach to nothing particularly strong work, OK-ish.