PDA

View Full Version : mot question

24sevenslacker
23-07-11, 10:35 PM
whats the law on driving to mot if you have no mot or tax but you are insured?

TeddyThom
23-07-11, 10:38 PM
You can legally drive it to your place of MOT as long as you can prove it, and go there then go straight back home.

Jack
23-07-11, 10:41 PM
Fine (as you need an MOT to get tax).

marc69
23-07-11, 10:44 PM
you are also allowed to drive to and back from a place of repair in preparation for the MOT, but you have to be insured and it has to be genuine, a road cop can check and charge if it was just an excuse for a runaround.

brainsnova
23-07-11, 11:01 PM
If there are obvious faults like bald tyres and blown bulbs I'm sure you can be reported.

Nova_Tek
23-07-11, 11:38 PM
I've driven cars to get mot tested with no tax as you need an MOT to get tax as Jack stated. Also taken a car to get certain things sorted in order for car to pass MOT. As said as long as you are insured to drive said car and you can prove you are doing the above then it's cool. I mak sure the garage I'm going to has my details and I'm booked into their diary so it can be proved. If the car is a right shed though it'll probably catch attention.

phazer
24-07-11, 08:58 AM
You do need to have a pre-booked appointment to do this but it's fine. Until I got my self organised I had to do this every year with the Nova.

Gaz1300SR
24-07-11, 09:13 AM
Yeah you are fine to do this, but as already said, if you get pulled the the copper could ring to check your appointment for mot. I know a guy that had this happen, he was lying and had his car towed.

phazer
24-07-11, 09:19 AM
The Road Traffic Act makes a specific provision to drive to an MOT without tax and MOT provided the test is pre-booked. You do need to be insured though.

Just to pre-empt the "no mot = no insurance" believers. This is not the case, an insurer may reduce your cover from fully comp to third party whilst no mot is in place but they cannot remove insurance such to cause a criminal act. Again the RTA ensures that the insurer maintains a minimum of third party cover. There is obviously nothing to stop them claiming back costs from you however should you knowingly drive a dangerous vehicle and cause an accident etc

Spudly
24-07-11, 05:17 PM
As said above, youre allowed to drive your vehicle to the testing place for the purpose of a pre-arranged mot, BUT, you are only covered to drive there, if your car fails youre not supposed to drive it home again which a lot of people think you are, youre supposed to leave the vehicle there for the failure(s) to be put right, you can then drive it home once it has passed but then must tax it before it is used on the road again, so in theory youre not allowed to drive straight to the post office and tax it lol

brainsnova
24-07-11, 05:22 PM
Stopping for tax on the way home is a fail as as soon as you park it technically its on the public road untaxed so best to go straight home then walk, bus , taxi to post office.

phazer
24-07-11, 10:03 PM
BUT, you are only covered to drive there, if your car fails youre not supposed to drive it home again which a lot of people think you are, youre supposed to leave the vehicle there for the failure(s) to be put right

That isn't true. The law makes provision for you to drive home after a failed test. It also makes provision for you to drive by prior arrangement to a place of repair without mot or tax. Oh and I forget the name to provide a reference but there was a case where a driver was prosecuted for stopping for petrol on the way to an mot. The judge sided with the driver and ruled that it would be ludicrous that a driver be prevented from doing this (his judgement was actually not limited tp just stopping for petrol but lets not muddy water further lol).

Bear in mind that the right to drive to the mot in the first place is subject to your not driving it knowing it is likely to fail i.e. bald tyres. This would open you to prosecution. So, all bulbs in working order, good tyres and nothing obvious - essentially you have a belief that the car will pass.

phazer
24-07-11, 10:07 PM
Stopping for tax on the way home is a fail as as soon as you park it technically its on the public road untaxed so best to go straight home then walk, bus , taxi to post office.

Technically based on case law this would be permissable. However the rules added over the years makes this difficult as you can still be prosecuted for failure to display a valid tax disc, despite the fact you can buy one over the internet and are allowed 5 days grace before you need to display it.

It all needs clarifying it but knowing how Government works they'd just make a bigger mess of it all lol

Jack
24-07-11, 10:16 PM
Theoretically as soon as you passed you could go online on your phone or whatever and order the VED then be Ok to drive.

The wording of the law says you can drive "from a test" with no VED, so technically driving to the post office to get tax is driving "from a test" lol

Novasport
24-07-11, 10:39 PM
I have no tax for the Swing but it had six months MOT left. I wanted to get another MOT to offset the date so it did not need renewing when it was the middle of winter and the car SORN'd. I cannot tax it yet as I have not got the new V5 back yet and it only came with its original V5 from 1985 so no green slip!
Drove to work where I had it booked in for an MOT Saturday morning but forgot to take the trade plates home with me but I thought I would be fine with it being booked. Now in the 6 months I have worked there I have never seen a police car either on the way to or back from work. Sods law, the one day I am not technically 100% legal(I am insured BTW) guess what passes me, a bloody traffic car! Luckily I was only 500 yards from work but I was checking my mirror with my asshole twitchin a good'un expecting him to spin it around and pull me lol. Unusually he never came back although if tax shows on ANPR it must of gone nuts in the car as it has been untaxed since 2002 lol.
Think I will use the trade plates when I rescue it and bring it home. It passed its MOT but the ramp I did the oil change on after decided to go out of sync and shove the locks in stranding the Nova up in the air!
So I got the missus to pick me up and abandoned it like this..... lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/IMG-20110723-00075.jpg

MK999
24-07-11, 10:45 PM
Poor things gonna be waving it's legs around all night lol

brainsnova
24-07-11, 11:01 PM
I remember back in 2000 ish steering a mk2 astra shell to the scrappies no panels, interior or glass. I was sitting on a couple of wheels and I coasted past the traffic police and expected them to u turn but they must of thought far too much paper work and never came.