PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass

DEE'S NOVA
05-07-03, 11:42 AM
:twisted: tried to do some fibreglass work on some of the holes under the floor and the arch.absolutley murder tried to get it to stick to the car but i had more luck with it sticking to my gloves and coming back off think i'll send it to the body shop and pay through me a%se

burgo
05-07-03, 05:45 PM
i did fibregalssing for the first time the other day found it pretty easy take alook at this to see my results i kno i looks abit of a mess at the mo but thats cos it aint finished http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=881

Wiggie
05-07-03, 05:59 PM
what are you using? the fibreglass matting and resin, or the redy mixed stuff, the ready mixed stuff is just a pain in the arse (in my opinion). i have to say my experience with fiber glass had been good.

were you working upside down or sumthing?

was your metal clean?

Nova-Boy
06-07-03, 12:31 AM
i do fiberglassing all the time! I start off with a lil bit of rust then when i start playing with it it turns to a massive hole!! So i have to get the old fiberglass out!

Pluss everytime i crash my race bike i dont by a new fairing just get the good old fiberglass out again!!

Just make sure its all clean and dry and it should stick if you have the resin and hardner mixed right

DEE'S NOVA
06-07-03, 06:30 PM
yeah im using the resin and hardener. I must be mixing wrong then. Any tips? :roll:

Stuart
06-07-03, 06:43 PM
soak the mat (preferably fine mat) in the resin before putting it onto the bodywork, do it in thin layers and try to do both sides if a pannel/hole

once you have a few layers on get a small (1/2") brush and stipple more resin into it, this will makte the mats press togetehr and also drive out airbubbles.

appart from that i tend to use prepreg which needs an autoclave lol but thats for special stuff