PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding engine, hydraulic lifters?

NovaBoi92
23-07-11, 02:41 PM
Im not 100% sure with the internals of the engine. These things,
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/MikeyJoeW/Untitled.png
Now ive been told that when im putting the engine back together, i need to take these apart, clean them and then put them back into the engine without oil inside. So that way they can compress and let me put the head back on, or something along those lines lol but are they not meant to be put back in already filled with oil?

Steve0011
23-07-11, 03:24 PM
most say to leave them submerged in oil for 24 hours before fitting, i agree :)

NovaBoi92
23-07-11, 05:07 PM
so fit them while they are filled up with oil?

burgo
23-07-11, 05:39 PM
i always drain them when rebuilding an engine otherwise they can hold the valves open when trying to start it

NovaBoi92
23-07-11, 07:47 PM
thanks, so in theory if fitted dry into the engine, they should fill up with oil in a short time

mowgli
23-07-11, 09:10 PM
thanks, so in theory if fitted dry into the engine, they should fill up with oil in a short time

what you need to do to clean them, is:
squeeze the top down in either a vice or a g clamp. then use a small screwdriver to pop the locking ring off. then you can loosen the internals & dismantle it. clean the bits with a non abrasive cleaner, like mr muscle oven cleaner...

when they are clean & dry, wipe the bits with some engine oil & reassemble them in the clamp or vice, and stick them in the engine.

when the engine is rebuilt, turn it over with the spark plugs out & the oil pressure will pump them back up.

NovaBoi92
24-07-11, 02:08 AM
very helpful thanks alot

swedge
24-07-11, 06:24 AM
When I rebuilt mine I stripped them apart and left them soaking in degreaser for a couple days the rinsed them all out and used cotton buds to get the crap out them

I lightly oiled them before putting them back together then left them all sitting in a tub of oil over night before reinstalling them

Be careful when you strip them apart as there's a small ball bearing and very small spring, I dropped 1 of the springs in my shed and spent hours looking for it lol