PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter

dan_mk1
05-07-03, 12:58 AM
Whats the best air filter to go for??
i remember hearing from a regular that for best performance to modify the original vauxhall part, cant remember who tho! :?
if not anyone recommend any gooduns?
cheers dan

brian
05-07-03, 01:15 AM
ya it was in Total Vauxhall how to mod the standard airbox for a GSi/GTE but what engine are you on about

dave.gsi
05-07-03, 01:21 AM
1.2 i think. if the case ask ade cos he used to have one and only certain ppl make kits for them

Adam Moran
05-07-03, 10:21 AM
When i had a 1.2i i used the Green Air Induction Kit and that was quite good. It made a deep indution noise and it proberly helped with the breathing! (Got mine from DT ?60ish) If it's for a GTE/GSI then i would go a panel filter and modify ur air box.

Ad

dan_mk1
05-07-03, 11:22 AM
yeah its a 1.2, ade?? care to add? (pretty please!)

Nova-Boy
06-07-03, 12:20 AM
Right to modify your original air box for better flow then take off the tube that goes to your box and then drill as many holes as you like around the outside of the box and on the lid. Make sure that the ones on the lid are towards the outside edge and that they do not allow air to pass in and it not go through the element.

Other than that the besrt air filter to go for in my opinion is a pipercross. They are a dome shape and allow air to floe into the carb better. A K&N has a top cover that looks nice but forces the air to enter at 90 degree angles and does not flow as well as the pipercross. PLuss they are cheaper than K&N!!

There my say anyway!

Aragorn
06-07-03, 12:38 AM
a side note being that the drilled box will be more grunty that the free flow filter too

Snowface
06-07-03, 10:21 AM
Right to modify your original air box for better flow then take off the tube that goes to your box and then drill as many holes as you like around the outside of the box and on the lid. Make sure that the ones on the lid are towards the outside edge and that they do not allow air to pass in and it not go through the element.

Other than that the besrt air filter to go for in my opinion is a pipercross. They are a dome shape and allow air to floe into the carb better. A K&N has a top cover that looks nice but forces the air to enter at 90 degree angles and does not flow as well as the pipercross. PLuss they are cheaper than K&N!!

There my say anyway!

i think he's wants to know a bout a 1.2i airbox not a Carburettor one.
Or are the 2 procedures the same?

Nova-Boy
06-07-03, 10:59 AM
He didn't say 1.2i and he later adds yeah its a 1.2. I assume drilling the air box will be the same for the 1.2i but you will need an induction kit rather than a bolt on filter. :wink:

Aragorn
06-07-03, 07:18 PM
the 1.2i kits are more like bolt ons

i'd say drill the box

much cheaper for same gains and more noise :)

dan_mk1
07-07-03, 09:27 AM
now now ladies! its a 1.2 carb! :roll: :lol:
so to drill the airbox do i drill top and bottom?

Nova-Boy
07-07-03, 10:16 AM
Like i siad you can drill the top, sides and bottom it you want. Round the sides isn't a problem just go round with a big (12mm or similar) drill bit and make as many holes as you like. Round the top and bottom make sure you only do the out most edge you can. If you do them nearer the center it will draw air in and not go through the element. You get me?

I will go and find the picture of mine now!

Stuart
07-07-03, 10:19 AM
snap the long air intake off, big hole :D lol

mind you its done nothing for noise/power, then again i never expected it to

Nova-Boy
07-07-03, 10:20 AM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=897

In the word of a certain puppet "thats the way to do it!!" :lol:

dan_mk1
07-07-03, 11:04 AM
fookin hell! theres holes everywhere! :lol:
has it made any difference??
cheers ppl, ill get the drill out at the weekend! :twisted:

Nova-Boy
08-07-03, 11:45 AM
Cant really tell cos i have changed the carb and exhaust. The exhaust is that load you cant here any induction. As for the hole sget more than that in there!! The more holes the better.