PDA

View Full Version : LED Bulbs - Need to add resistance?

Graeme
22-07-11, 10:12 PM
Ive been told that to have my indicators flashing collectly, I need to add resistance or load for the flasher unit to operate at the correct speed, Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Also what resister do I need?
Where is it best to add it, into the circuit?
Do I need one per l.e.d. bulb?

I'm not keen on 'stashing' a bulb in order for it to work correctly but as a last resort I will
Thanks in advance

bazil
22-07-11, 10:19 PM
some led bulbs have built in resistors, just due to led bulbs using lower voltage the relay thinks the bulb has blown and flashes double time, just get bulbs with resistors built in.

canbus ones should be good too as it has the same problem iirc.

Graeme
22-07-11, 10:25 PM
I presume two bulbs for 99p from China won't have added resistance, I'm actually suprised they work lol, I've waited four weeks for them to turn up so they can stay for the time being. Someone must know how to fix it

Stuart
22-07-11, 10:29 PM
front, rear or side bulbs?

Graeme
22-07-11, 10:30 PM
Indicator front and rear

Stuart
22-07-11, 10:40 PM
21W bulbs iirc

6.857 Ohms per bulb (you can put it in parallel with the LED, BUT you will need to get 30W resistors....)

Graeme
22-07-11, 10:46 PM
Can I just walk in Maplin and ask for that?

Jack
22-07-11, 11:39 PM
You can buy inline resistors specifically for this, I've got them in the Celica (came from ultraLEDs, but that was way back in the day)

Alternatively, if you want something tidier, you can get replacement flasher relays that are designed for LED bulbs.

Graeme
23-07-11, 01:25 PM
Cheers Jack just found a flasher unit on the bay

Thanks to all

Stuart
24-07-11, 05:37 PM
Can I just walk in Maplin and ask for that?

rofl..... Maplins is the Mcdonalds of the electronics world

C612DNM
24-07-11, 09:03 PM
McDonalds? I rate them more like the Lidl of the electronics world. They have lots of stuff, from obscure brands that may or may not be anywhere near as good as the proper stuff.

Stuart
24-07-11, 09:19 PM
McDonalds? I rate them more like the Lidl of the electronics world. They have lots of stuff, from obscure brands that may or may not be anywhere near as good as the proper stuff.

I've never been into a Lidls (and refuse to) so cant get my standards lower than McDonalds :p

windfreek
25-07-11, 09:13 PM
it may be worth mentioning that if you get white LED bulbs, your indicators will look yellow and not orange, so make sure you get the orange LED jobbys, same also for the brake/tail bulbs, if there not red, it will look pink

edit..... as a result i have some spare white led bulbs for the above yellow/pink application lol