PDA

View Full Version : Radio2 argument hour

Jack
22-07-11, 01:09 PM
Jeremy Vine is on about driving instruction at the mo, and the dangers of getting the likes of parents to teach their kids how to drive.

There's one woman on at the mo who said when she turned 17 (back in the 70s lol), her dad took her out and round the local industrial estates, which she handled fine. Impressed with her skill, he let her drive home. Approaching a junction, he instructed her to pull up to a stop at the line, then when the road is clear to turn left.

She pulls up, stops, road is clear, so does a complete U-turn and puts the car over the pavement. LMFAO

Anyways, this is all in response to this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-14232194) article, where a mother was supervising her daughter and got out of the car to assist her with a parking manouever. Apparently the daughter then ran the mother over, killing her.

Are both parties not guilty of an offence though? As the qualified driver is no longer supervising the learner. The law states that the "supervisor" is someone:

who would in an emergency be able to take control of the steering and braking functions of that vehicle
..thus as the mother was outside of the vehicle, she would be unable to take control of steering and braking, so is therefore not supervising correctly?

TeddyThom
22-07-11, 01:31 PM
I'd agree. She shouldn't have got out the car. Having said that, I bet that 17yr old won't ever get behind the wheel of a car again.

marc69
22-07-11, 01:32 PM
what a tradgedy

Alex J
22-07-11, 05:29 PM
that is a sad story, but jack , why are you listening to cat food and moth ball smelling radio twolol

Benn
22-07-11, 05:38 PM
This pissed me off (we have it on at work) why the funk would you ever get out and stand behind the car when a learner is reversing in to a space????????????????

That is so stupid its unreal!

Why wasn't she getting proper lessons off some one trained to do it?

blue_peg_16v
22-07-11, 06:10 PM
Totally stupid to get out of the car how can you instruct her on what to do out of the car a nightmare for her to be killed but might increase my business as dsa has been pushing for years to make having an instructor compulsory and with this bringing it back in to the limelight the argument will be brought up again

novarally
22-07-11, 06:22 PM
Totally stupid to get out of the car how can you instruct her on what to do out of the car a nightmare for her to be killed but might increase my business as dsa has been pushing for years to make having an instructor compulsory and with this bringing it back in to the limelight the argument will be brought up again

Totally agree with this, it's ridiculously antiquated thinking that allows learners onto today's roads being supervised by people who are potentially appalling drivers themselves (e.g. parents, aunties, friends).

If you can't afford to pay for proper driving lessons, then you shouldn't be on the roads anyway, and it might reduce the overcrowding on them a little.

BTW - Radio 2 is great, and Jeremy Vine especially so. Trust me, you'll be listening to it when you get to my age.

blue_peg_16v
22-07-11, 06:30 PM
I'm listening now at 31 wa scary tho the first time realising you are realybecoming old lol

novarally
22-07-11, 06:37 PM
I'm listening now at 31 wa scary tho the first time realising you are realybecoming old lol

Yes, that sounds about right, something happens at 30-ish when you turn into your Dad. Now I can't stand Radio 1, whereas once it was all I listened to.

Andy
22-07-11, 07:22 PM
Yes, that sounds about right, something happens at 30-ish when you turn into your Dad. Now I can't stand Radio 1, whereas once it was all I listened to.
Im 25 and i'd rather listen to radio 4 than radio 1.
What a set of uninteresting retards they are,they love the sound of their own voices,laugh at their own "jokes" (which arent remotely funny "comedy" Dave etc) oh and they play sh1te music.

Jack
22-07-11, 07:25 PM
Radio 2 is far superior to Radio 1, daytime listening at least.

And I was in sleepy Portsmouth, they need something to help them sleep and R2 fits the bill nicely lol

Andy
22-07-11, 07:26 PM
Radio 2 is far superior to Radio 1, daytime listening at least.

And I was in sleepy Portsmouth, they need something to help them sleep and temazepam fits the bill nicely lol
Gotta be an easier alternative??? lol