PDA

View Full Version : towing FAIL...

Alex J
21-07-11, 11:17 AM
trying to drift with a trailer is faillol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYd5D3iwYwA

(hopefully i link hasntlol)

brainsnova
21-07-11, 12:25 PM
If only he took his foot off the accelerator.

Mike
21-07-11, 12:29 PM
What a nob.... one dead 8 series aswell lol

mowgli
21-07-11, 02:11 PM
not enough weight on the front of the trailer.. is my bet.. but a good bootful of throttle would have saved it, as would not sawing at the steering wheel...

i bet you lot didn't know there was a british car & caravan racing championship back in the 70's .... bill blydenstein ran a works vauxhall team in it.....they put crossplys on the caravans to make them drift better.....

Keif
21-07-11, 04:59 PM
I agree on the weight distribution of the trailer being wrong, but it's the speed he's doing that made the trailer wobble.

He's going to fast! So a bootful of throttle would have just made it happen quicker, and saved nothing.

turbojolt
21-07-11, 06:00 PM
ouch!

Mike
21-07-11, 06:45 PM
He's going to fast! So a bootful of throttle would have just made it happen quicker, and saved nothing.

A foot full of throttle can save a trailer when it starts to go. Slowing right down will make it worse, as the trailer tries to overtake the tow car (unless youve got remote trailer brakes, then its dead simple to correct).

Anyway, have a still shot pre polish fail. Check the stance of the tow car in relation to the ride height & level of the trailer... asking for fail before even setting off IMO. Nose heavy much lol

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/prefail.jpg

Alex J
21-07-11, 07:04 PM
shame really, look like a decent pair of bmw`s

Royston
21-07-11, 07:31 PM
If only he took his foot off the accelerator.

I bet he did, actually, you are suppose to put your foot down and pull/accelerate yourself out of the snaking, although every sense in your body wants you to slow down:eek:

But once the trailer is out of control, disaster isn't far away:eek: it is a roll of the dice

I have experienced this personally, scarrryyyy;).

Royston
21-07-11, 07:36 PM
Mike beat me to itlol

Trailer carries the car high on the bed, susceptable to sidewind/buffeting from HGV's

Tow car is not heavy enough for that set up, also guessing the load is too far forward making the tow car unstable.

I still vividly remember seeing a few years ago, a large car trailer, carrying a Mk2 Granada, towed by a Mini Metro with 4 people in it:eek:

mowgli
21-07-11, 07:40 PM
we used to have a diahatsu swb van, and an old ifor williams 2 axle trailer (the one with 9" forklift type wheels) it would regularly get a proper tank slapper on with a mini digger on, and we always accelerated our way out of it, or if coming down a hill, simply keeping hold of the steering and riding it out. it just wasn't a good towing vehicle, even though the weight was legal. i'm also guessing that the tow car isn't man enough to hold that sort of weight. the 2nd car is easily as heavy as it then add about 750-900kg for the trailer, which definitely isn't big enough either.

Southie
21-07-11, 08:07 PM
What a waste of money, some people don't appreciate owning a car. I wonder if the internetz polica will hunt them down and give them a ban hammer lol

simonm
21-07-11, 09:08 PM
I dunno about speeding up with a tank slapper just makes it worse any time I've had it happen it's a matter of gently slowing off to take control and by the look of it it's not weight distribution it's the toe car is already too low and the trailer is riding on one axle which will upset it from the start I've towed a lot with a lot of different vehicles and slowing down IMO is the best option

brainsnova
21-07-11, 10:23 PM
I had a piano in my van last-night and handling was effected lol and yes I had to carry it down 3 floors with 3 other friends but it was heavy but no Stella piano sliding.

burgo
21-07-11, 10:30 PM
whenever ive towed and got a wobble speeding up has only made it worse, you gently slow down to stop it, dont let off the throttle completely and certainly dont brake lol

GK NOVA
23-07-11, 12:05 AM
thats funny as fu*K lol

bazil
23-07-11, 12:11 AM
THATS NOT A FAIL!!!!!! THIS IS A FAIL!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-xnw568hNo

burgo
23-07-11, 05:25 PM
that harness bar looks dodgy

Mike
23-07-11, 06:47 PM
Steering lock FTL lol lol

Gaz1300SR
23-07-11, 07:13 PM
Speeding up makes things worse in my experience, letting off the accelerator is best way to sort it. That and not driving like a cock to start with