PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia / Trials Bike Help!!

Liam
20-07-11, 12:39 PM
I've tried looking around the internet and cannot find anything and I know there are a few bikers on here so I may aswell ask...

I bought an Aprilia RX50 new Feb last year and it started first time everytime.

About 4-5 months later I bought a Mallosi race exhaust for it and rejetted the carb and changed the smaller sprocket. Ever since then it takes about 20-30 kicks to start it (doesn't come with electric start).

I serviced it last month for its first 500 miles service :eek:, I replaced the spark plug and gear oil. I thought that the spark plug change may help but it still doesn't start first time. :confused:

Once it's running it runs fine and doesn't stall or cut out.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. :thumb:

Connor
20-07-11, 12:47 PM
It running lean?

MattBrown
20-07-11, 12:50 PM
What jets have you put in?

I take it its a malossi race pipe, as in the non road legal one? Im not picking, im asking as theyre 2 differant types.

IIRC it was a 64 main in my Mx50, although that was the minerelli AM6 engine, not the newer yamaha one.

At a guess id say you have upjetted it too much.

But without seeing and hearing it its anyones guess.

Liam
20-07-11, 01:20 PM
Changed the mixture about and the problem still occurs.

It's the non road legal one, I did buy a Metrakit one but it wasn't in stock and they sent the Malossi one instead and I couldn't be bothered to return it.

I contacted the bike dealer I bought it from about the jet and I can't remember what one is in it but he told me which one I needed and sold me the same one as he had done to the same bike a couple of weeks before and that one run properly etc.

Do you think it may be the reeds, I don't know much about bikes so don't know what the problem could be.

stevenf
21-07-11, 10:47 AM
did you change the reeds at all or is it still the standard ones you are running? if its standard ones i would get them changed. had the same problem with an old rs50 that i had and it was the reeds that caused the problems.

MattBrown
21-07-11, 11:08 AM
Cant see it being the reeds after 500 miles.

Does seem odd, what make 2 stroke oil are you using?

Id be looking at putoline mx5 as a minimum for that, I ran mine on comp 2 x or mx7.

Liam
21-07-11, 06:47 PM
I'm using standard reeds and i'm using Silkolene Comp 2 Plus oil. I'm thinking of taking it down to a local bike dealer and letting him give it the once over.

Also, if the bike is left in the heat when it's really hot for a few hours it will start first time?

Cheers.