PDA

View Full Version : caliper painting

AndrewJenkins
18-07-11, 05:59 PM
discusion which is the best spray or paint and brands???

steviegsi
18-07-11, 06:02 PM
Hammerite is the best IMO . Cheap ish and lots of colours to choose from.
And ive never seen it flake off on any brake calipers I've done :thumb:

nova_saloon
18-07-11, 06:46 PM
always do calipers black silver (sometimes the color of your car us good) but red sometimes look chavvy. but hammerite is good, caliper paint is good, i use VHT paint usually, but i think some people just use normal rattle can paint and say its fine but you got to use primer, were as the others you do not!. so just as long as you clean them up good a proper you should be alright. but do it properly or face flaking or whatever later

brainsnova
18-07-11, 07:32 PM
I always strip them right down and spray them as I like the finish. Vht paint silver or black.

Jack
18-07-11, 07:34 PM
Hammerite has never failed me.

Yellow FTW :cool:

AndrewJenkins
18-07-11, 08:17 PM
jack yellow calipers on my red nova no thanks and i know what you mean im thinking red calipers to match the apex suspension but dont want to look chavy may go black but i dont want it to blend in lol

nova_saloon
18-07-11, 09:07 PM
silver always makes them look new and to clean, just wipe, thats why i do mine silver see

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/pirrip/2011-07-15_15-46-45_310.jpg

Benn
18-07-11, 09:23 PM
As above, silver is best, you get that new look quick.

AndrewJenkins
18-07-11, 10:21 PM
yeah i like that what paint was used i would think of buying the same as im going for a clean and perfect look on mine and they look spot on

Tim
18-07-11, 10:48 PM
I had mine powder coated. I fitted a new seal kit and rebuilt them. They are as good as new and look wicked. I had them done red. I love red calipers.lol.

craig green
18-07-11, 11:12 PM
Subtle silver or Black Hammerite FTW IMO.

nova_saloon
19-07-11, 01:30 AM
I used this CLICKY'MA'GEEE (http://www.carsupplies4u.co.uk/ekmps/shops/carsupplies4u/images/simvht22b-simoniz-vht-paint-silv-500ml-265-p.jpg) your suppossed to use it on exhaust manifolds so you know it wont burn off like normal paint. But i found that after an hour it says its dry, but its best to leave it a day or two as when i rubbed it a little a couple of hours later, my finger when silver. so i read the can and it said it wont properly cure till the paint has been cooked on basically. so be careful when fitted otherwise you will have to repaint, and so its a lot of hassle, but once cooked on it should be prety darn good stuff, i hope. but i will let you know. new discs coming tomorrow, and will be painting them with it to!

brainsnova
19-07-11, 01:51 AM
nova_saloon I found that out too when I painted my vespa engine 2 weeks later it still left paint on my hand so I put it outside to bake in the sun now it's great.

nova_saloon
19-07-11, 02:02 AM
this is good news! i got annoyed when i first did it i was going to lob it at the guy in the shop, but read the can before you go is always a good point of call cheers brainsnova

danderv
12-08-11, 06:32 AM
Just done mine with red hammerite and i agree about red looking chavvy unless they are brembos of course but i think they just go with my white wheels on my sport.

Jack
12-08-11, 08:14 AM
As above, silver is best, you get that new look quick.
I thought calipers were a kinda bronzy colour?

I say yellow as it goes with everything and still has that 'performance' look about it. Red, as has been said, is a bit chavvy. Green can be good but only works on a black or white car IMO. Blue looks daft on any colour car. Silver looks boring and will get dirty quickly. Black...? lol

Clean the calipers first with cillit bang btw, works really well lol

joshy
12-08-11, 09:21 AM
yellow FTW +1 :cool:

have yellow callipers on my pov beige mk1

ab2cv
29-08-11, 12:21 PM
What about gold? Too bling? I'm thinking of trying to find a colour closer to the original bronze look as I think silver would be too bright and black too dull. (Any colour is better than rust colour though!)

Benn
29-08-11, 04:00 PM
If you mix silver and gold smooth hammeright together you get a very close match to new...

simonm
29-08-11, 04:25 PM
Was thinking about doing mine blue the car is red but thaught maybe like the vxrs I might get away with it as maybe red might be too much