PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel drive discussion.. Ideas etc

Danb1987
18-07-11, 05:21 PM
I'm sure at some point most people on here have thought about the idea of a rwd nova, just thought I'd post this up to get everyones 2p worth on the best way to go about things...

Front engined with prop rear axle etc

Engine over the rear wheel?

What axle would be the best, where to get the bellhousing from....

I think the idea of a front engined rwd saloon would be awesome however im guessing it would be pretty hard to do successfully.

Fire away with anything you like but keep things clean and no bitching lol

bazil
18-07-11, 05:22 PM
See the simps, and SOD 2 was it not RWD aswell?

mowgli
18-07-11, 05:24 PM
the main issue with a front engine rwd setup on a nova is simple.. enough room to fit the engine in

the bulkhead will need some serious reworking, and the heater & steering rack need to find a new home.
there are loads of omegas for little money and they would make decent donors.

the mid engine idea is good, but you will need to widen the rear out to fit it, and is probably more suited to a hatch than a loon.

jonn
18-07-11, 05:26 PM
i am building mine with engine in the back. to build a front engine rwd their is a lot of work involved.

bazil
18-07-11, 05:28 PM
There is a running mid engine nova on here iirc, White, from Wales iirc

mowgli
18-07-11, 05:30 PM
the main issue is that it takes an awful lot of work to make a rwd nova that will outperform a fwd nova with the same engine.

Southie
18-07-11, 05:33 PM
Here's some old adverts I found for you ;)

CLICKY1 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rA92eGh9iDoJ:www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/2746584.htm+rwd+vauxhall+nova&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.co.uk) CLICKY2 (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?105681-Mid-Engined-RWD-Vauxhall-Nova-Project)

Mike
18-07-11, 05:35 PM
Cut the entire bulkhead & trans tunnel out. Decide/figure out/fit what ever engine, box & prop you require & THEN build the bulkhead & tunnel around it.

Basic theory, easist way to execute it. Although a lot easier said then done.

steviegsi
18-07-11, 05:53 PM
What happened to the rear drive saloon project on here (c20xe/LET iirc). Was over a year ago I think,possibly White, and was only up for a few days before the guy through the toys out of the pram and left.

Danb1987
18-07-11, 06:33 PM
I saw the thread about sod2 and that looked an epic build... I don't have the skills etc to do the work on my own but I have friends that do lol

Going mid engined seems to be the easiest (although not easy) and most common route people seem to go for, iv not seen a mid engined loon however.

Danb1987
18-07-11, 06:33 PM
I saw the thread about sod2 and that looked an epic build... I don't have the skills etc to do the work on my own but I have friends that do lol

Going mid engined seems to be the easiest (although not easy) and most common route people seem to go for, iv not seen a mid engined loon however.

DOUBLE POST FAIL......

_Jake
18-07-11, 06:38 PM
Im building a 4wd nova using sierra 4x4 gear. going with a Ford v6 engine as theyre not miles long so it is possible to get it in there

bazil
18-07-11, 07:18 PM
What engine mate? 2.8, 2.9 or BOA?

Jack
18-07-11, 07:42 PM
Mid engine would be pretty crap on a saloon tbh, as you'd have a hard time accessing the engine. Unless you modified it so the rear window opened as well, in which case you may as well do it to a hatch!

I'd say it all depends why you want to do it. It won't reeeaaallly be practical - as said, FF would be better and simpler. MR would probably be easier to make/fit, but again not very practical in a saloon. If its to be different, well RWD conversions have been done a few times now so there's nothing new there - 4WD seems to be more the challenging thing these days. If its to make a cheap drift car, just buy an S13 and when it blows up... buy another one. Repeat ad inifitum lol

mk1nova_rich
18-07-11, 07:50 PM
Put the money into a well-spec'd FWD Nova

_Jake
18-07-11, 07:56 PM
What engine mate? 2.8, 2.9 or BOA?
2.9 tauras is what i have in the sierra im knicking bits off for it, but im eventually going to go BOA with BOB cams & maybe twin turbo conversion ;)

Put the money into a well-spec'd FWD Nova
Fwd cars are pants in the wet, just spin like hell! plus its harder to fit a bigger engine in transverse rather than longditudinal like you would going 4wd/rwd

mk1nova_rich
18-07-11, 07:59 PM
I'd rather have a wide track diff'd 1.6 16v than a V6 RWD Nova...please don't take that as a dig at your engine choice, because I admire anyone with the skills to carry out such conversions :d just wouldn't be my personal choice thats all

Danb1987
18-07-11, 08:03 PM
How does the sierra track compare in wideness of a nova? Is there anything that would fit at retain the standard track?

_Jake
18-07-11, 08:06 PM
Fairplay, but im doing 4wd because there are a few rwd ones about now & i think the power will be distributed alot better through 4 wheels rather than two

_Jake
18-07-11, 08:07 PM
Sierras are 6inches wider, so its a widearch jobby to do one unless you get the drive shafts shortened

Longdogcharlie
18-07-11, 08:12 PM
why not use the rear suspension arms from the cav/calibra with an LSD rear diff, keep the nova track, It can be done!!! then you just have to mess about with the front longditudinal engine mount

_Jake
18-07-11, 08:14 PM
Not sure if its directly aimed at me buti didnt want to do standard track as i wanted a a 250hp+ engine so i thought it would make the car very unstable while cornering at speed, whether this is true or not i do not know.

Longdogcharlie
18-07-11, 08:21 PM
I would say your right, mine with the locked box doesnt really want to turn corners. should be ok if its only rear drive tho. it should be a lot less of a handful without the torque steer