PDA

View Full Version : mk3 astra gsi

swedge
17-07-11, 04:00 PM
well i was looking for an engine and my mate has a few xe's lying about, i went over to see them and he said he has an astra gsi doing nothing aswell

i had a look and its the ecotec version, he has offered me the full car for £300 or he wants £300 each for the redtop engines

the engine will be put into the nova at sometime after its had a good service including headgasket and waterpump

it will be getting ran on r1 carbs using megajolt so not having a dizzy isnt a problem

the car has a full gsi kit and exhaust sytem with lowered suspension

i could make some money back selling the astra in parts as having it sitting in the drive isnt a problem

are the mounts the same as the "redtop" would an redtop r1 carb inlet fit the ecotec? whats the engine code? power difference?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/swedge87/07999d05.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/swedge87/9a2f4632.jpg

mowgli
17-07-11, 04:05 PM
they are about 10hp different. the ecotec is obviously lower power..

swedge
17-07-11, 04:07 PM
not a massive amount then i dont think, im guessing these dont have the porous head crap that xe's do?

mowgli
17-07-11, 04:10 PM
i think the 2.0 ecotec gets a lot of unfair press. de-cat it & its probably not far off redtop performance, the heads are more reliable, about the only difference in mounting is that (iirc) the flywheel mounting pattern to the crank is different.

Mike
17-07-11, 04:12 PM
GSi kit is worth a few quid but other then not worth it.

swedge
17-07-11, 04:14 PM
i think i shall take it and hopefully make a bit money back

Mike
17-07-11, 04:15 PM
Be prepared to maybe just about break even. There aint nothing of much value on Ecotec GSi's.

swedge
17-07-11, 04:18 PM
yeah but the engine will be staying with me so nothing ecotech will be sold,

alloys with good tyres £50?
lowered suspension (not coilovers) £40
GSI kit ????????????
exhaust system £50
and any other bits that i can flog off

simonm
17-07-11, 04:26 PM
Pity your so far away I could do with a new exhaust for mine it's getting increasingly farty every day lol

Spudly
17-07-11, 04:33 PM
You wont get anywhere near £50 for them wheels i wouldnt have thought, noone really rates the eco GSi's so the exhaust wouldnt be much use, and trust me you cant even give the kit away as my mate has just binned two complete kits that he has been trying to sell for months, both were complete with foglights, jacking point covers and spoilers!

swedge
17-07-11, 04:38 PM
plenty chavtastic kids round here will give me a pack of space raiders and a couple roll ups for the gsi kit haha

meach86
17-07-11, 04:39 PM
Ecotec's are very under rated imo, i ran one with 114k on the clocks in a calibra for 3years with nothing going wrong i just kept it serviced and it was spot on

swedge
17-07-11, 04:42 PM
this ones on 80k and has full service history too lol

Spudly
17-07-11, 04:48 PM
Ecotec's are very under rated imo, i ran one with 114k on the clocks in a calibra for 3years with nothing going wrong i just kept it serviced and it was spot on

Thats quite impressive actually, mind you there is a reason it had that high mileage on it, twas a shonky eco and therefore no good as a donor which is why it survuved, although why youd admit to owning a calibra on an open forum i dont know?

Oh and my cav SRi had 225,000 on it when it finally succombed to car cancer, and yes it was an XE

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cav%20SRi/06112010331.jpg

Beat that eco boy:p

meach86
17-07-11, 04:52 PM
Thats quite impressive actually, mind you there is a reason it had that high mileage on it, twas a shonky eco and therefore no good as a donor which is why it survuved, although why youd admit to owning a calibra on an open forum i dont know?

Oh and my cav SRi had 225,000 on it when it finally succombed to car cancer, and yes it was an XE, so beat that eco boy:p

I failed, I will depart to the losers corner :cry:

Spudly
17-07-11, 04:53 PM
I failed, I will depart to the losers corner :cry:

See above edit ^^^^^^^

Pics, so it did happen lol

Btw, said xe is now in my nova:d

Adam
17-07-11, 05:00 PM
About 5 years back Mk3 GSi stuff was fetching big money. I remember the spoilers going for like £80, and the front bumpers £100-£150+.
No one can seem to shift any mk3 stuff recently though.

And yeah the ecotec aint a bad engine, it feels completely different to drive compared to a xe imo.
Although the one in my astra has had two headgaskets in the past 18month lol

davidfox280585
17-07-11, 05:08 PM
i owned a mk3 sport 2.0 and i was fairly impressed with it to be honest very underrated,as mowgli said once you decat it and remove the egr your not far off plus they dont really come with any SCENE tax like the c20xe

swedge
17-07-11, 05:19 PM
does the chassis leg still need cut out?

Adam
17-07-11, 05:22 PM
Yeah

meach86
17-07-11, 05:23 PM
See above edit ^^^^^^^

Pics, so it did happen lol

Btw, said xe is now in my nova:d

Haha you had the drill out on them clocks to make you look cool :d

Previous MOT's or it didnt happen :thumb:

Spudly
17-07-11, 07:14 PM
Haha you had the drill out on them clocks to make you look cool :d

Previous MOT's or it didnt happen :thumb:

Here ya go :p

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/IMG-20110717-00218.jpg

And yes it was MOT'd whilst being fully rotten and unroadworthy as i found out a couple of months later when i broke it :eek:

meach86
17-07-11, 07:30 PM
Here ya go :p

And yes it was MOT'd whilst being fully rotten and unroadworthy as i found out a couple of months later when i broke it :eek:

Haha theres no stopping you is there, digging out them old MOT's fair play, Yeah theres a few cars round here with MOT's like that ;-)

Spudly
17-07-11, 07:33 PM
Its only because im being a good boy and filing all of my documents together these days so i laid my hands on it in seconds lol

I can understand getting a lenient mot if its because it would fail on something like emissions and you know your tester, but to paste over rot with seam sealer and paint it body coloured, then to mot it to sell on to an unwitting buyer is just dangerous, thankfully i knew the car anyways and knew it wasnt quite as clean as it looked when i got it!

mowgli
17-07-11, 07:51 PM
i'd be interested in the bumpers for cheap moneys, cos back in the day, people chopped them down to fit novas & i happen to think they looked pretty good.....

steviegsi
17-07-11, 09:31 PM
You'll definitely struggle to get rid of parts off it quickly mate, especially with it being a phase 2 model ( Although only 500 made iirc) and the later kit isn't as popular as phase 1 stuff.... And nobody wants it!

But I'll have the front splitter for mine if you do go ahead and break it. :-)