PDA

View Full Version : GSi engine conversion - tank?

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 02:15 PM
Putting a GSi engine into my saloon, I currently have a 1.2 carb engine. I'm pretty sure i need to change the tank. What is the reason for changing the tank? And just to be sure, it is a 1.6 gsi tank i need is it not? thanks

mowgli
17-07-11, 02:31 PM
not sure it it fits a saloon. the later mk2 spi saloon tank will fit, with the daewoo or astra mk3 pump will do.

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 02:33 PM
The SPi's have the in tank pump dont they, under the back seats? so i would just fit in an astra or daewoo pump and that would be sufficient for a gsi engnie?

simonm
17-07-11, 03:51 PM
Yea that's correct use a spi tank and just pop a mpi pump in it one from a vectra or some thing would do the job and a hatch one should fit the loon think there all the same

mowgli
17-07-11, 03:51 PM
i think its down to number of doors. the 2/3 is different to the 4/5

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 04:35 PM
So i would need a 4/5 door spi tank then?

davidfox280585
17-07-11, 04:52 PM
So i would need a 4/5 door spi tank then?
yes and either mk3 astra/cavalier/nexia/espero mpi pump

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 05:08 PM
thanks for the help

C612DNM
17-07-11, 08:18 PM
The reason you need it (which people haven't answered) is to do with fuel supply/pressure. The injection system is a high pressure high flow system, a sniff of air and it'll lose pressure big time, and your engine will die momentarily. So, to combat this, the injection type tanks have a kind of a swirl-pot setup inside the tank to "capture" fuel and retain enough to keep the pump fed during low tank level cornering. Any of the later MPi tanks from a salon will do. The later pumps (MK3 astra etc) are better/more reliable than the older MK1/2 Astra/Manta etc pumps, though you could use any Bosch/Walbro/Lucas in-line EFI pump that will sustain 60-90psi.

Graeme
17-07-11, 08:49 PM
John H has one for sale and they are hard to get

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 08:57 PM
The reason you need it (which people haven't answered) is to do with fuel supply/pressure. The injection system is a high pressure high flow system, a sniff of air and it'll lose pressure big time, and your engine will die momentarily. So, to combat this, the injection type tanks have a kind of a swirl-pot setup inside the tank to "capture" fuel and retain enough to keep the pump fed during low tank level cornering. Any of the later MPi tanks from a salon will do. The later pumps (MK3 astra etc) are better/more reliable than the older MK1/2 Astra/Manta etc pumps, though you could use any Bosch/Walbro/Lucas in-line EFI pump that will sustain 60-90psi.

thankyou for the answer, you say that the later mpi tanks from a saloon will do - just to be sure, it does have to be a 4 door saloon or 5 door hatch am i right?

NovaBoi92
17-07-11, 08:59 PM
John H has one for sale and they are hard to get

would you mind linking me to the thread please?