PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Failure (again)

mrT
17-07-11, 01:16 PM
Im putting this up on behalf of a mate, basiclly his 04 zafira (petrol) turbo failled at around 76k miles due to a worn bearing, so he replaced it with a brand new one and replaced the oil drain pipe due to it weeping and all gaskets etc, when fitting it was checked to make sure oil feed was providing enough oil and all was well, now around 1600 miles later the same thing has happened again as in the bearing is funked, i know its gotta be a oil starvation problem, but before we have a look is there anyone who has had, or heard of the same thing happen before, any likely causes etc? we've fitted many turbos and never had a problem as its generally a very easy task,so it aint a fitting/priming problem, were gonna replace the oil feed and check everywhere for blockages and coking/cooked oil, then drop the sump for a look but any ideas/suggestions before we start would be a bonus, thanks:d

mrT
18-07-11, 07:41 AM
anyone anything to add before it gets ripped apart?

pete17
18-07-11, 09:00 AM
anyone anything to add before it gets ripped apart?

is he running it on the right grade of oil ? as we have had alot of problems with vectra diesel turbos blowing at work , and that was down too us using cheap bulk oil when we serviced them ??? just a thought .

John
18-07-11, 09:47 AM
My zafira gsi had a similar problem, the last time it went i replaced the oil pump (fitted an leh one) and turbo oil feed. Seemed fine after that. Apparently the zlet has known problems with the oil turning to sludge in the feed pipe causing premature failure.

Edd
18-07-11, 10:17 AM
My mk4 astra gsi had this problem, replaced turbo with a z20let only for it to happen again

I fitted new oil pump z20leh
Correct oil
Z20leh turbo
Oil feed and return

After all that it was fine

Have you fitted a new z20let turbo unit ? Cause there complete crap and mate af vauxhall told me they now recommend there not fitted, should now be replaced with a LEH/vxr one as there a better design

mrT
18-07-11, 02:27 PM
thanks for the response folks,all info will be noted in taken to the workshop to help us along, but yeah it uses the correct oil and is well serviced, the turbo was replaced with a brand new vxr one, the car runs fine and doesnt throw out smoke its just eaten the turbo bearing and makes a terrible noise, were gonna drop the sump to check the pick up pipe but cant see how the oil pump should need relaced as its doing its job fine, imo i suspect the turbo oil feed is coked up with hardened oil over the years and although still producing oil its probably not enough but time will tell, if we cant see anything obvious then we'll take off the pump for a look but would rather leave it but we'll soon see,

Spudly
18-07-11, 04:05 PM
Is your mate turbo timing it correctly, as this may be a causal factor if not?

mrT
18-07-11, 04:46 PM
Is your mate turbo timing it correctly, as this may be a causal factor if not?

what you mean, as in a 50 second tick over once stopped before shutdown? if so then yes, the cars done a few miles either 76k or 67k i cant remember and all has been fine and never had a problem with it, this is the first time its failed and he presumed the turbo had just had its day, then 1600 miles later the same thing, the car drives and boosts perfect with no smoke etc, it made same noise as before and when he checked its the same thing, turbo shaft bearing gone, its a lack of oil but need to find out whats caused it and why its come on all of a sudden, also anyone recommend a decent place to rebuild the turbo,not sure if hes gonna sell it once done if hes planning to keep it, ill push for a new turbo as imo rebuilt turbos are pish and only last half the time if that

John
18-07-11, 05:02 PM
thanks for the response folks,all info will be noted in taken to the workshop to help us along, but yeah it uses the correct oil and is well serviced, the turbo was replaced with a brand new vxr one, the car runs fine and doesnt throw out smoke its just eaten the turbo bearing and makes a terrible noise, were gonna drop the sump to check the pick up pipe but cant see how the oil pump should need relaced as its doing its job fine, imo i suspect the turbo oil feed is coked up with hardened oil over the years and although still producing oil its probably not enough but time will tell, if we cant see anything obvious then we'll take off the pump for a look but would rather leave it but we'll soon see,

It's worth just taking the oil pump off and inspecting imho. i thought mine was good, but the gears had more wear than you'd expect on a ford.

Count Vaux Alot
18-07-11, 11:44 PM
When you say the bearings have failed what do you mean? Ie is there lateral movement in the shaft (end float) or up and down (the blades touch the sides of the housing)?

These turbos are prone to failure when boost pressure is increased (remaps etc) as they arnt designed to cope with high boost pressure - under normal operating conditions they should be fine.

If it's end float (and the boost hasn't been tinkered with) then I suggest You check for any air leaks on the boost side as this can cause the turbo to over speed and fail. If it's up and down movement then it's likely to be oil starvation so as you suggested the feed pipe is a good place to start, the oil pump is worth a look too.

All the KO4's (5304 988 0024 on the gsi's and 5304 988 0049 on the vxr) use the same bearing system so there isn't any difference in standard form ( you can retro fit upgraded thrust bearings and thrust collars but manufactures don't have or use these parts they are specially made)

Any GOOD turbo remanufacturer with use oem quality parts (trust me i know most of them) so the only obvious difference between new and reman will only be the price. Be warned though if you haven't found the cause a the turbo WILL fail again new or reman.

James

mrT
19-07-11, 06:03 AM
thanks james, he's checked the turbo but im gonna go over this wknd and have a look to see whats up, ill check the "play" in see what we come up with, cheers