PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel judder

pickle2000
04-07-03, 12:30 PM
I have a MK1 nova and the standard calipers seized up a while ago. The steering wheel juddered quite violently under braking, until they finally siezed.

I have now put on second hand astra 16v disks (256mm), pads and calipers. Sometimes I get a strange - only slight - judder through the steering wheel. The problem is that this time it doesn't do it under braking all the time. Sometimes its just when I am driving - then it will just dissapear, judder for a bit then stop and not return. It generally does it after a couple of mins after leaving the house.
Under braking the car is a lot sharper, but it somehow feels 'strange'. Hard to explain, but sometimes the steering wheel will judder a bit (not strongly) - other times it won't judder at all.

Does anyone know what this could be.....?
Warped discs, unbalanced calipers, ? Would it be something that I could check out or would it be more sensible to get a garge to check them out for me (I know virtually nothing about mechanics..)?

Cheers
Pickle

DUNOVA.
04-07-03, 04:19 PM
Have you got a rapid fit where you live?????they do free brake safety tests

pickle2000
04-07-03, 04:26 PM
Don't think so - got a quick fit near me..... could take it there for them to have a look at. I will drive past and see if they offer free brake checks....

Any other opinions on whats wrong?

DUNOVA.
04-07-03, 04:41 PM
Just ask them if they can stick it on the rollers

Jim
04-07-03, 07:31 PM
Might be that your tracking is out? Like the guys said, take it to a garage and get them to take a look at it.

Jim

Stuart
04-07-03, 07:33 PM
get your wheels balanced if its only a mild vibration (should be free/cheap)

if its not that i could look for you but im busy lol

ade
04-07-03, 09:21 PM
if judders through braking it'll either be warped or uneven brake discs/shoes

If it judders when driving - about 40 to 60 - it'll be either tracking, wheel balancing or trackrod ends/steering rack wear.

Mine used to judder when track rod was knackered - and still does after being changed.

It can also be caused if the cars been lowered and the cambers out, or if the wheels are not the right offset

Ade

ade
04-07-03, 09:22 PM
oh - and it could be worn shocks/suspension mounts, bushes etc...

pickle2000
04-07-03, 10:53 PM
Cheers ade.... Sounds like it could be a number of things....
It has been lowered 60mm, and is running 15" wheels (ET49). I haven't done any camber correction, nor changed the bushes or top mounts.

It does judder about 40-60mph, but only for about the first 5 mins. Then it stops and doesn't do it again. It only does judders under braking - but not everytime... only sometimes.

I will take it into a garage though asap so that they can check it out - hopefully it will just be a simple thing to sort out.... :roll:
Hopefully just need to get the wheels rebalanced.....

Cheers guys
Pickle.

NB. I have asked this before but..... since I have lowered it -60mm and the suspension is now v. hard will this be causing damage to the car in any way (top mounts, trackrods, etc)?