PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a GTE

krobinson
04-07-03, 11:54 AM
1989 GTE, MOT'd
Excellent condition inside and out, totally standard, garaged last 6 years, best example to be found. ?1650

I'm going at 4pm to look at it, taking the digi cam so i'll show you all some pics. I cant even afford it, but if it IS as clean as he says, with no rust, never hit, good engine etc, i'm gonna concider a loan to buy it. Always wanted a GTE! The price is pretty expensive, but if it is clean, then i'd say its worth it...

I'd have to sell one of my novas then tho.. would have to be the white winter car... :D

Keith

linzTDI
04-07-03, 12:52 PM
Well let us know how it goes

ade
04-07-03, 01:51 PM
been standing for 6 yrs!

knock him down to 1500 or less -

has the engine been regularly turned over? might not turn after 6 yrs (oil will have completely drained to the sump)

what are the brakes like - they maybe seized - prob need draining after that time

is their fuel in the tank - after 6 yrs if the opriginal fuels in it (from when it was last filled up 6 yrs ago) may have seperated and may need draining

Ade

linzTDI
04-07-03, 01:53 PM
and the good points Ade ....lol

Ste_Nova
04-07-03, 01:56 PM
garaged 'every night' for the last 6 years

Dicko
04-07-03, 03:31 PM
only worth that if completely solid with no rust, even then knock it down to ?1500 tops

linzTDI
04-07-03, 03:34 PM
i must say i wouldnt pay that for it mind.

Tilly got one really cheap didnt she?
and it looks good

bish
04-07-03, 03:51 PM
i got a mint gte 2 years ago for just ?500 but i couldnt afford the running costs so had to sell it

Tilly
04-07-03, 06:06 PM
i must say i wouldnt pay that for it mind.

Tilly got one really cheap didnt she?
and it looks good

i got a GTE lookalike for cheap yup

krobinson
04-07-03, 06:58 PM
Right, just back from viewing it.

The guy bought it 6 years ago, and since then has only done 5,000 miles. The engine bay is mint, no rust on front pannel, no rust on inner wings/turrets etc. Boot floor is mint, no rust! The doors are bubbleing at the bottom front and rear corners. One wing has slight bubbles on it, boot lid is bubbleing at the bottom, showing the bubble on the vinyl! Arches are in good nick but need some attention..

Checked underneath, floor is mint, chassie is waxoiled, skirts were taken off few months back and waxed underneath, no rust either.

Engine is MINT, no oil round it anywhere, sounds amazing. Full new standard exhaust on it, new bremo grooved/vented discs, standard calipers. Wheels are GSI refurbished and are like new. All bushins, fuel pipes, brake pipes all new.

Drove the car, it feels like it just left the factory, handles great and the power is simply stunning compared to wot i'm used to!

The interior is simply showroom, no rip in the seat, not even a wear mark, its gleaming, dash looks like a human hand never touched it. Steering wheel has very little wear etc.

The car is completely Straight, never hit, i checked it all, all original seam sealer etc. Car doesnt look to be ever painted, altho would need some to sort the doors/arches etc

I think i'm gonna see about finding the money and buying it, simply cos its the cleanest standard, most original GTE i've ever seen, the colours beautiful (calipso red)

I'll keep you all updated...

Keith

Ben (lurk75)
04-07-03, 07:04 PM
still far too much money!!! woulnt buy it if had ?1k knocked off it.

bish
04-07-03, 07:21 PM
i bet they guy bought it for the same price 5 years ago,
fair enough its in decent condition but there is lots of highly modified novas for sale at about the same price, rather than just standard

krobinson
04-07-03, 07:30 PM
yes it is expensive for a GTE. But i havent seen a GTE in my area in years, nevermind a clean one. Also its calipso red, very rare colour. Its well looked after and just needs a bit of tidying.

I want it because its 100% original, i wouldnt buy a modifyed car because the likelyhood is that its thrashed by some boy racer.

Keith

brian
04-07-03, 07:42 PM
sounds like a minter. wouldn't worry about rust on doors, wings, bootlid etc as they are all removable. The rest of it sounds very tidy.
I can't say if its too dear or not for the u.k but in Ireland that would be a good price.

techie
04-07-03, 09:34 PM
1993 Nova GSi...mint FSH.....?1500

http://mig.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/novagsi1.jpg

Sounds expensive even if it is mint. But if your happy with it good luck to you, hope it works out well.

krobinson
05-07-03, 11:14 AM
Well i've heard of mint SR/SRI's going down sound of ireland for ?4k!

And i regulary get offers for my blue nova, guy at a petrol station asked me once
"would you ever sell it?"
i said "haha, if you've got about 5k laying around, maybe"

thinking he'd say wise up, its only a nova bla bla... and he said
"jesus, yeah, so you'll sell her for 5k? whats your number i'll ring to get it tonight"

I shit myself and drove off...lol

Keith

Ben (lurk75)
05-07-03, 01:29 PM
Ireland here i come, i am going to branch out.

brian
05-07-03, 06:26 PM
Ireland here i come, i am going to branch out.

might be able to start something there Ben.
Will talk about it in september :wink:

krobinson i never spotted yer address before! :)
They are making mental money in Ireland alright!

krobinson
05-07-03, 07:02 PM
which is why i concider the GTE to be a steal!

They make a mint over here... just need to wait and the right guy would pay just about anything..

Much like the Corolla twin cams, there all about 20 years old, cost ?7k new, but there selling now from 4-10k... Madness!

Keith

techie
05-07-03, 07:39 PM
Well Keith you know what your looking for and know the prices over in Ireland so I say go for it.

brian
05-07-03, 09:00 PM
ya deffo keith go for it. might take it off yer hands some time!!

Ben (lurk75)
06-07-03, 01:35 PM
Much like the Corolla twin cams, there all about 20 years old, cost ?7k new, but there selling now from 4-10k... Madness!

Bought one for ?100 about a month ago, with 17" wheels as well :lol: :lol:

brian
06-07-03, 10:13 PM
no Ben its not what he is on about!!i told you before you silly silly boy!! :roll: :lol:
A rwd corolla gt coupe is what we class as a "Twin Cam" in Ireland and if i remember right you bought a fwd corolla?
You would not get a clean "Twin Cam" for less than 5k or 6k and as keith said they make a lot more. An "88 silver/graphite twin cam gets between 7000 and 10000 euro.

Ben (lurk75)
06-07-03, 11:22 PM
there still hideous regardless of whether the power is sent through the front or the back!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(was still a bargain though, and you cant deny that!)

brian
07-07-03, 12:34 AM
oh ya for sure 100 was a steal for a gti corolla. the engine alone if its good can be sold for 600euro :wink: :wink:

Ben (lurk75)
07-07-03, 07:45 AM
Well that sticky starter had me puzzled for abou 2 minutes.

Has got a full stainless with a 4-1 manifold, 17" wheels, Cat 1 alarm, lowered, Induction kit etc etc 8)

brian
07-07-03, 08:50 PM
well if you decide to break it i can sell the engine!
Keith did you buy it yet?