PDA

View Full Version : quick help needed

dave.gsi
04-07-03, 10:57 AM
just got in and parked the car on the drive. went in to get my insurance certificate(finally came) and my other stuff to go and tax the car. was in the house about five minutes and when i came back out the car wont start :( turn the immobiliser off, fine, turn the key and nothing happens. the engine doesn't even try to fire up, theres just nothing. the car has driven fine for weeks so there were no warning signs, how can it just break like that and what the hell is wrong with it.

and i've got to pick my gf up from work at 1.30 :o

Ste_Nova
04-07-03, 11:06 AM
earth strap snapped... i bet the HB light is working and non of the others

dave.gsi
04-07-03, 11:10 AM
all the ignition lights come on when the key is turned and you can hear the fuel pump(????) start up in the back but they final turn of the key does nothing

dan_mk1
04-07-03, 11:12 AM
do any lights come on at all?
does they key still turn?
mine done that and it turned out the ignition barrel had snapped and lost connection with the switch

Ste_Nova
04-07-03, 11:41 AM
shagged imob

knackered black cap

or starter shagged

short the red/black to red in the engine bay to try and start it

DUNOVA.
04-07-03, 11:51 AM
my car done that tryed to start and nothing what so ever but all lights were working it was the starter motor I hit it with a bit of wood took a few hits and then it was ok for a couple of days

dave.gsi
04-07-03, 12:18 PM
:D :D fixed it.

don't ask me how lol but it started. thought i'd have a look at the immobiliser first so i turned it off and then waited for it to beep to show it was turning back on. followed the noise to behind the dash. took off the fuse box cover underneath and behind it was a little black and red box (just smaller than a fag packet)with 'serpi star GM30' written on it. this has to be the immobiliser so i unplugged the three plugs and wahhay the car starts.

only thing is, with me taking out the box i thought the immob would be gone. but no, the light is still flashing and the car won't start untill you bleep it off. so the immobiliser is still there.

so, the box which i've taken out must be for the alarm (which doesn't work and i don't use). so basically when i was messing around by the fuses i must have knocked some wires and fixed the problem?

only thing is, is it likely to break again?

Ste_Nova
04-07-03, 01:01 PM
sounds like it needs a wiring overhall