PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 into the nova

Old minor
09-07-11, 09:42 PM
Have a 1.8spi engine and f20 gearbox for my daughters Nova i know most would say why not put a red top in, heres why the 1.8 has been built by me with a few bits added and its an 8v so the local traffic cop wont really notice the difference.
I need to know what drive shafts i should use once i fit it, as the engine bay will be welded and the whole car resprayed before the install so any ideas would be a great help as im used to working on mini's and the drive shafts can be used with inner cvs and outer shafts so what do i need guys apart from help;).

Novasport
09-07-11, 09:54 PM
I assume by the comment 'its an 8v so the local traffic cop wont really notice the difference' that you won't be declaring it to the DVLA or insurance company.
I do hope I am wrong though but if not then its not big or clever and if it was my daughters Nova then I would make sure it was all above board and legal.

As regards fitting, I am no big block follower but I assume it will be pretty much the same as an XE

Southie
09-07-11, 10:12 PM
Have a 1.8spi engine and f20 gearbox for my daughters Nova i know most would say why not put a red top in, heres why the 1.8 has been built by me with a few bits added and its an 8v so the local traffic cop wont really notice the difference.

What a intelligent father you are, your setting a fine example for your daughter :roll:

MK1_Ben
09-07-11, 10:14 PM
Any traffic officer with the faintest clue about Engines would know it's not the right Engine.

My cousin was booked at 120 in his 16v 106 rallye, he actually tried to convince the officer it's the standard 1.3 8v engine in there (which it was logged as).

MK1_Ben
09-07-11, 10:14 PM
-- Duplicated post.

mk1nova_rich
10-07-11, 04:08 PM
REally not worth the effort of fitting to be quite honest, especially if you have no intention of declaring it...:wtf: if you can't afford to insure it properly, then the insurance company don't consider her as a low enough risk.

The sort of attitude I'd expect from a 17 year old, not a father

Mazz
10-07-11, 04:23 PM
How to make friends eh!

Andy
10-07-11, 04:32 PM
its an 8v so the local traffic cop wont really notice the difference;).
So by this comment its going to be passed off as a 1.2?

mowgli
10-07-11, 05:07 PM
leaving the legalities to one side, next to the fact that its not much of an engine, you need the mount kit for the redtop/xe conversion, then you need to source (you might already have them) 22 spline shafts. the 22 relates to the number of splines on the inner end of the driveshafts, and then you get either mk2 astra diesel inner cv's or ones for a daewoo, but i can't remember which one.
the engine will give reasonable torque, so it will be a fairly quick drive.

you will probably need stronger front springs & bigger brakes too

Old minor
10-07-11, 09:33 PM
I assume by the comment 'its an 8v so the local traffic cop wont really notice the difference' that you won't be declaring it to the DVLA or insurance company.
I do hope I am wrong though but if not then its not big or clever and if it was my daughters Nova then I would make sure it was all above board and legal.

As regards fitting, I am no big block follower but I assume it will be pretty much the same as an XE

Assumed wrongly as I pay for the Insurance Im not a red top fan really and i was my local traffic cop m8 who suggested the 8valve as most drivers dont change the engine on the log book if they can get away with it, the conversion is not going to cost me much more about £20-£30 on my fully comp insurance as i have a modified Mondeo myself but insure the daughters cars which ever she drives.

We are lucky enough to have a few older modified cars running 1 with a log with the police to not pull for noise as it hasin the past been stopped a few times for checking the decibels and passed so now they know they leave it alone.

Old minor
10-07-11, 09:35 PM
REally not worth the effort of fitting to be quite honest, especially if you have no intention of declaring it...:wtf: if you can't afford to insure it properly, then the insurance company don't consider her as a low enough risk.

The sort of attitude I'd expect from a 17 year old, not a father

Another who assumes before asking the details well its your opinion and your welcome to post it .

Old minor
10-07-11, 09:42 PM
What a intelligent father you are, your setting a fine example for your daughter :roll:

LOL another insult .
as to my intelligence well thats another story, please before you jump in with open mouth do make sure that you have all the facts.
Really its not hard to ask questions, instead of assuming wrongly:roll:
I asked for advice but so far just bad manners instead of answers.

MK1_Ben
10-07-11, 09:43 PM
Assumed wrongly as I pay for the Insurance Im not a red top fan really and i was my local traffic cop m8 who suggested the 8valve as most drivers dont change the engine on the log book if they can get away with it, the conversion is not going to cost me much more about £20-£30 on my fully comp insurance as i have a modified Mondeo myself but insure the daughters cars which ever she drives.

We are lucky enough to have a few older modified cars running 1 with a log with the police to not pull for noise as it hasin the past been stopped a few times for checking the decibels and passed so now they know they leave it alone.

Most people with Engine conversions actually declare them, probably 90% + of the ones on here are...

Also "running a log with the police" to not pull you over for a DB check? If traffic have/believe they have a reason to pull you over they can... Also there isn't technically (well wasn't, correct me if I'm wrong anyone) an actual DB limit on our roads, they can however issue a section 59 if an exhaust is deemed too loud, thus antisocial.

Nova's had a "Boy-racer" image in the past, and that's slowly subsiding but one of the things about this club is that it isn't orientated towards the "omg m8 im runnin nos and did 160mph down the m5 yesterday init" attitude. Then you get the select few like yourself who add to the negative image by promoting void insurance via an undeclared engine.

Cheers.

Old minor
10-07-11, 09:48 PM
leaving the legalities to one side, next to the fact that its not much of an engine, you need the mount kit for the redtop/xe conversion, then you need to source (you might already have them) 22 spline shafts. the 22 relates to the number of splines on the inner end of the driveshafts, and then you get either mk2 astra diesel inner cv's or ones for a daewoo, but i can't remember which one.
the engine will give reasonable torque, so it will be a fairly quick drive.

you will probably need stronger front springs & bigger brakes too

Thanks for you advice and for not just assuming things it is a 1.3 at the moment but and will be insured as a 1.8 turbo once finished, fully comp insurance by me for my girl just like the other cars ahe has driven all insured by me for her with me as a named driver although the standard mini is insured on her own to earn more no claims, i can afford to help her out with this as she is my daughter.

craig green
10-07-11, 10:08 PM
Putting in that engine is the same as it is with a 2.0 8v, mounts & shafts needed & the usual corresponding gearbox & selector mod.
Those SPi's are only 90bhp though & only really have there smooth (torquey'ish) delivery to shout about. The std 1600 Nova engine is much better & more tunable if required. The Spi would benefit a close ratio box from an Astra SRi or similar, as opposed to its wide ratio box geared for economy & low cruising revs.
You cant swap the motor to MPi from an 18SE too easily either as the head port are different as is the CR/pistons I would hazard a guess.

Better more worthwhile engines out there IMO, still disregarding the 20XE.

Old minor
10-07-11, 10:15 PM
Thanks graig for you answer i will have to look into it further as we already have a fast road cam in and turbo for it to go on we do have a 20.ltr engine sitting about from our last corsa job

craig green
10-07-11, 10:28 PM
The SPi will be the limiting factor with all of the above. People that have tuned 1.2, 1.4 & 1.6 SPi's have upped the injector size to the engine above, but yours is the biggest of them, so not sure where you could go with finding one. Plus if you want to turbo it you really need the multiple injectors & plenum the MPi's offer.

I'm sure the 1800 with a CR box would make a nippy car but beyond that the engine in most part would be a hinderance in tuning terms.

Old minor
19-07-11, 10:18 PM
Most people with Engine conversions actually declare them, probably 90% + of the ones on here are...

Also "running a log with the police" to not pull you over for a DB check? If traffic have/believe they have a reason to pull you over they can... Also there isn't technically (well wasn't, correct me if I'm wrong anyone) an actual DB limit on our roads, they can however issue a section 59 if an exhaust is deemed too loud, thus antisocial.

Nova's had a "Boy-racer" image in the past, and that's slowly subsiding but one of the things about this club is that it isn't orientated towards the "omg m8 im runnin nos and did 160mph down the m5 yesterday init" attitude. Then you get the select few like yourself who add to the negative image by promoting void insurance via an undeclared engine.

Cheers.

Yet another mastermind reply read my posts and maybe you wont jump to the wrong conclusion, like almost all the others did and for the last time i will say it 1 more time! it will be legal and all parties will be notified, as they have been with all the other cars we have done although this really is no-ones buisness except the dvla's and my insurance and of course mine so do stop assuming things and get all the facts NEXT TIME . lol end of my post here as no-one except graig had the good manners to reply without trying to insult me so many thanks graig and to those well i wont drop to your level in this reply.

General Baxter
19-07-11, 10:30 PM
there is NO point in fitting a 1.8spi engine, its a big block engine with only 90bhp at best,

you would be better off fitting a 1.6 8v from a gsi or gte, small block and 100bhp

Stuart
19-07-11, 10:48 PM
if the big block 8v's are the same concept as the small block 8v's then the 1.8 and 2.0 exhaust ports 'should' match so the turbo kit 'should' fit the 2.0 8v engine if you do insist on that shed of an engine.

Carbs = good, MPI = good, SPI = spawn of the devil

Southie
20-07-11, 03:26 AM
LOL another insult .
as to my intelligence well thats another story, please before you jump in with open mouth do make sure that you have all the facts.
Really its not hard to ask questions, instead of assuming wrongly:roll:
I asked for advice but so far just bad manners instead of answers.
Err! You ass(u)me incorrectly that I was talking about your car, how do you not know I was talking about your daughter... I jest "joke" no harm intended ;)

You'd be amazed at how many people come on asking random engine questions, but by mentioning the future conversion your on about and how the police won't know what it is... does come across as your taking the pee.

Anyway good luck with your build and hope your daughter appreciates it.