PDA

View Full Version : how do you make a powerbox...?

Jedro
09-07-11, 09:30 PM
sorry, know im ranting on about them, just trying to learn a bit more about them and really want one.
someone mentioned to me they made there own...

how is this done, hard?

Southie
09-07-11, 09:43 PM
Buy one off eBay and save yourself the hassle, it's for a C/X16xe I presume?

Adam
09-07-11, 09:50 PM
What he said /\

It aint worth the hassle unless youve got the bits laying around and can tig weld etc.

burgo
09-07-11, 11:39 PM
not necessarily true adam, only need to tig weld if you make it from ally, could make one out of steel easy enough but by the time you add up the metal to make it, gasket fot the lower pattern, burr bit to bore out the ports, gas, wire blah blah blah, is it really worth making your own?

jonn
10-07-11, 12:19 AM
i made my own one out of 4" box, it took some time but i saved a nice bit of money!

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/SAM_1070.jpg

Jedro
10-07-11, 01:18 PM
that looks smart, did you get the same/similar ganes? also would you advise making your own? were did you get the 4"box from?
think i mite just get one of the £160 jobbys off the bay, cheers

Adam
10-07-11, 02:00 PM
not necessarily true adam, only need to tig weld if you make it from ally, could make one out of steel easy enough but by the time you add up the metal to make it, gasket fot the lower pattern, burr bit to bore out the ports, gas, wire blah blah blah, is it really worth making your own?
I wouldnt want anything made out of steel in my inlet/intake system tbh.
Rust ahoy.

mk1nova_rich
10-07-11, 02:30 PM
Yes you could make your own...but Mantzel who made the original powerboxes will have put quite a bit of science/maths into the design of it so it will never be as good as a proper one (I have one fitted to mine/Southie's old car)

Another thing to note is that most people fit a Powerbox with no other mods, which probably gives a small gain in power...but Southie is pretty certain that there was an ECU chip made to go with the powerboxes - the rev limit is raised from 6500 to 7200rpm as well as better, smoother performance increases

Alex J
10-07-11, 02:36 PM
just put a big block in!:d

Southie
10-07-11, 03:21 PM
As Rich mentioned that Mantzel did include a chip with the original powerboxes, I think this is where people do struggle when putting aftermarket boxes as "yes" you'll gain the power but won't gain the raised limit.

Have a look at this though but learn a different language lol
http://www.corsa-novatuning.nl/nl/pdf/Tuning%20X14XE%20_%20X16XE.pdf

craig green
10-07-11, 10:33 PM
The raised limit is usefull as with a shorter inlet, the engine will still be climbing in bhp when the std limiter cuts in. The rod bolts are only safe slightly beyond what the raised limit is anyway. The fuelling demands elsewhere in the rev range are optimised but on its own a powerbox is a worthy mod & the mantzels arent that great in design, esp inside.

Jedro
11-07-11, 04:21 PM
if i could say thank you in german i would. but cheers lads :thumb: sums a bit up for me. my car goes well past 7k on the limiter lyk.

mowgli
11-07-11, 05:39 PM
its 'Ich danke Ihnen'