PDA

View Full Version : help removing doors?

b16nov
06-07-11, 10:04 AM
can anyone pls tell me the correct way to remove doors from a 3dr nova? i know that you have to knock out the 2 pins and undo the 10mm bolts but is there a correct way to do this??? do you knock them up or down or doesn't it matter? am suppost to get a set of rot free doors tonight and dont want to butcher them, thanks

novarally
06-07-11, 10:11 AM
See the thread in 'General Car Chat' as well.

The top pin has to be knocked downwards.and the bottom pin goes upwards.

You will struggle without the correct tool for the job (about £15).

b16nov
06-07-11, 10:12 AM
i have a punch set and have done previously before but took all day, think i used a 6mm punch, does this sound about right?

Iain
06-07-11, 10:41 AM
Not sure how you'd use a punch to knock the top pin downwards as the door lips over the top of the pin?

nova gsi ian
06-07-11, 11:07 AM
don't even bother with a punch you will only end up damaging the doors....Halfords sell the door pin extractor for about £15 its worth every penny as it can be used continally, bought one myself recently , worth every penny! as stated top pin goe's down bottom one upwards, use a club hammer more weight:thumb:

NovaBoi92
07-07-11, 01:48 AM
or if you really dont want to buy the tool.... like me.... lol use the bonnet stay, its the perfect size to knock out the pins

marc69
07-07-11, 10:17 AM
I removed doors with the correct tool, I think it is the only way, although after I had removed two doors (took forever) the tool itself was well shot!
My dad has removed nova doors wiithout the correct tools, by using one door pin to partially removethe other, then pull both out. He did get stuck with one and just ripped the complete hinge from the frame with a grinder. Maybe not the best method?

b16nov
07-07-11, 12:22 PM
managed to do all ok, hand hint for anybody else wishing to try, remove the boot hinge pins, these fit perfectly to remove half way down and then use a set of grips to remove the rest of the pin