PDA

View Full Version : How to get nova doors off.

stelf2.0nova
06-07-11, 06:59 AM
Hi what is The best way of taking doors of a nova cause I seem to b having problems getting any thing in to take the pins out.

Help would b great :)

Bubba
06-07-11, 07:41 AM
take the funny clip washer off the pin, wd40 or something, and a hammer, bash it out

blue_peg_16v
06-07-11, 08:11 AM
I got given a door pin removal works every time

paul james
06-07-11, 08:29 AM
This gets asked a lot, because it is a right pain to do as there's little room to maneuver. The door pin removal kits aren't that good in my opinion, I've broken two sets as the door pin is stronger than the removal tool. What gets recommended on here is using a Nova bonnet stay to drive them out.

Its a shame they aren't solid pins like the tailgate ones, it would make it a lot easier.

novarally
06-07-11, 10:08 AM
This gets asked a lot, because it is a right pain to do as there's little room to maneuver. The door pin removal kits aren't that good in my opinion, I've broken two sets as the door pin is stronger than the removal tool. What gets recommended on here is using a Nova bonnet stay to drive them out.

Its a shame they aren't solid pins like the tailgate ones, it would make it a lot easier.

Totally agree, I've had 5 or 6 pin removal tools, and broken them all. The top pin is easy enough to get out with these removal tools, as you are hitting from above and can get a good accurate swing at it.

The bottom pin is normally a nightmare though. I've got no easy answers to that one, but if the door has to come off, the Draper version of the tool is the best one I've used.

The cranked design of removal tool is better than the straight bar as you can beat it with more force!

jord4n
06-07-11, 10:16 AM
the best tool i came up with for removing nova doors is get a bonnet stay as suggested and weld about 100mm of bonnet stay to a length of 20mm² box or similar then you don’t have to hit the bonnet stay and can really give the bit of box some whack! i will say tho don’t hit the top pin upwards as it digs into the door frame.

jord

b16nov
06-07-11, 10:26 AM
have heard people use bonnet stays, i may be either really stupid or just thick but which end are you using???
as having the same problem removing doors

mowgli
06-07-11, 11:22 AM
people, where you are going wrong is that the door pins wear funny. the inner bit wears into an offset, and the door sags slightly. if you get the catch end of the door supported & raised slightly to get past the wear, it comes out a lot easier.

Edd
06-07-11, 12:18 PM
^^ yep support rear of the door is a must

Fook them crap pin tools, there all crap and don't work IMO

Having the wings off makes it 10x easier as well IMO

Bonnet stay cut down to a 30cm length is the best

calibra-keith
06-07-11, 03:12 PM
i use an old drill chuck key every time never failed, was perfect size to knock pin almost out and for getting in with no room without getting stuck, the best tools are your old broken tools.

swedge
06-07-11, 03:26 PM
bonnet stand ftw :)

brucer
06-07-11, 08:08 PM
its covered in the articles section

Jedro
06-07-11, 09:30 PM
http://owens.blogspot.com/agm.jpg

ANGLE GRINDER MAN!!! loves the jobs you hate :cool: