PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid modulators??

simon@novaheaven
03-07-03, 12:52 PM
what do these do how do they work? they are long hexaganol metal things connected the the master cylinder which fluid passes through to get to the brake pipes.

there are lots of different types listed on the epc, are these for different engine sizes??

any explanation as to what these do would be brill!

Cheers
Simon

Ste_Nova
03-07-03, 01:10 PM
higher the number.... less fluid passes

simon@novaheaven
03-07-03, 01:26 PM
do these control the fluid to the front, front and rear or just the rear??

what ones should be on the sr? is there any benefit to fitting other ones?

the modulators on my red and yellow nova have different numbers, even though they are both 1300 sr's??

cheers

Ste_Nova
03-07-03, 02:34 PM
just rear is limited...

i think the ones with the least fluid to the rear were petrol vans?

Ben (lurk75)
03-07-03, 05:32 PM
As CP said in another post, using these in conjunction with a rear disc beam could be good to lower the amount of fluid going to the brakes, a basic type of bias valve.

mikeoxford
04-07-03, 12:42 AM
one of the novas i saw at pv may have been brett ws - had NO hexagnol thing on one and one on the other. i assume to let all fluid through to fronts, and restrict it to the rear, to compensate for disk brakes?

rgv_stu
04-07-03, 09:26 AM
thats probably because he is only using a single line to the rear . theres no point fitting a second if its blocked off

mikeoxford
04-07-03, 10:49 PM
thats probably because he is only using a single line to the rear . theres no point fitting a second if its blocked off

ahh

thats a point

:oops:

Aragorn
05-07-03, 11:07 PM
the single line thing dont make no sense to mee

the cylinder has 2 circuits

Front left and rear right

and

front right and rear left

now say we block off rear right and run both the rears from the rear left pipe

when u apply the brakes

an even amount of pressure is going to be applied to both circuits

BUT on one circuit ALL this pressure is goin to front right

and on the other the pressure is being split between 3 brakes

that would kinda point that under moderate to heavy braking the front is gonna start pulling all over the joint due to the unbalanced braking force being applied

rgv_stu
06-07-03, 03:55 PM
it all depends how he has it set up
he could be using one part to do the fronts and the other with a single line to do the rears.it might not be connected with the diagonal split.

yes you are correct that you cannot just block off the one output without some messing.

ideally you want 2 clyinders and a balance bar as that would be simplest and most effective