PDA

View Full Version : going from 4speed to 5 speed?????????

Damogolfgti
03-07-03, 12:02 AM
just changed my engine from a 1.2 to 1.4 and the 1.2 was 4 speed, but now the sr engine and five speed box are in it feel like it only has 4 gears still, so does it need adjusting or does something need changin??? help needed cheers

Aragorn
03-07-03, 08:15 AM
well can u get 5th?

f u have a close rato box as fitted to some sr's then your 5th gear is the same ratio as your old 4th gear - the gears are simply spread out more to give better accelleration

if u cant get 5th at all trey pushing the stick down as tho your tring to get reverse and then select 5th - if it works u need to chop a bit off plastic off the selector shaft (if u remove the gaitor and look inside while selecting 5th you'll see the culprit ;) )

ade
03-07-03, 10:02 AM
ah - brings back memories - I nearly experienced this problem - like aragorn says, you need to either get the bloke that fitted the engine to fit the full gear selector linkage or remove the plastic white bit so you can engage 5th.

the gear stick bit will be the same (mine still shows 5 speeds and reverse) but its the mechanism underneath that needs changing.

If you can get into 5th then its a close ratio box - same 5th as 4th

Like the man Aragorn says

8)

rgv_stu
03-07-03, 01:20 PM
i have both run both gearboxes back to back and they are nothing like 4th = 5th

the ratio might be the same ie 0.89 or whatever but the final drive is different on the 4 speed and 5 speed.
my 4 speeder 4th is way higher than the f10cr 5th gear

but yes either cut down the selector to accept 5th or get a selector rod for a 5 speeder

Damogolfgti
03-07-03, 09:44 PM
cheers guys