PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Around Spoiler

Nova-Boy
02-07-03, 05:23 PM
Is it advisable to colour code the spoiler the same as bumpers ect etc?

Also i am thinking of cutting off the 4 screws and just sticking it on like the sides are? Saves me having to drill 4 holes in my boot and inviting water to make the holes rusty.

Can i just stick it on with silicone sealent or somthing similar?

epo
02-07-03, 06:35 PM
my rap round is colour coded same as the car and i used double sided tape on mine althought i did have the bolt hole already there

ade
02-07-03, 11:38 PM
DONT CUT THE BOLTS OFF!

I did and its a nightmare! You cant get it to stay on properly and its too heavy to use double sided tape (which perishes and comes off)

Picture the spoiler coming off at speed - its heavy and will cause serious injury - which you will be liable for (prosecution wise!)

I tried Epoxy resin and it worked but I would not recommend it (takes up to anb hour to dry too and dribbles out the bottom and makes a real mess of the car!

Take your time and drill the holes - get someone to help youhold the spoiler against the hatch and look at the angle - do it with the hatch closed - its about 30' - the holes should come out just below the rubber seal on the little raised area on the inner panel of the hatch

TBH its quicker, safer and easier to pay ?50 to a body shop to fit it for ya - they will also spray it with proper elastosized paint (flexes with the spoiler) - something you cant buy in cans.

Ade

Nova-Boy
03-07-03, 11:55 PM
One of my bolts isa bit bent and they do seem very well stuck in!! They seem very thin bolts and dont have any nuts? How do they bolt on the inside of the boot?

Also i have bought a tin of 2k paint in the colour of my car, plus i already had the hardner, thinners etc etc from spraying my racing bike. Have a look at www.tarkracing.com/bike.html. Check that spray job! :wink:

And whats with the resin setting in an hour! I use fiberglass all the time to fill the greate holes in my motorbike fairing and car and it dont take that long. I supose it would take longer if trapped between two things though. :roll:

Thanks for the advice.

DazK
04-07-03, 01:52 AM
yeah DONT cut the bolts off ... and DONT pay 50quid for a bodyshop to do it .. thats just GAY :lol: jus take yer time with it and get sum1 to help ya with it 8) Nova-Boy - didnt u get the nuts for the spoiler? the bolts fit thru the holes uv drilled and then u put the nuts onto em .. if u aint got em jus nick some from a scrappy :wink:

Nova-Boy
04-07-03, 12:52 PM
If they are a standard size bolt i will have some nuts in the garage. If not them i will resort to plan b! :lol:

I will spray it myself over the weekend along with my bumper and grille if the weather is nice.

DazK
04-07-03, 02:14 PM
they aint normal nuts mate .. there hard to describe :| get some from the scrappy :wink:

Nova-Boy
04-07-03, 04:00 PM
I might have a look but if i can't find any they're getting ripped off, and a seeing to with 'no more nails' :lol: