PDA

View Full Version : refurbing alloys

Dicko
02-07-03, 11:51 AM
considering getting my 15" alpines reconed

anybody know how much this costs and how well they come out?

NovaNeil
02-07-03, 12:16 PM
I had my 16's refurbished and powercoated white. It all came to ?230. That including them collecting the wheels, taking the tyres off, getting rid of all the kerbing marks, powercoating them, fitting tyres, balancing, then they sent them back to me. Took about 2-3 weeks. It was a place down in essex that did them. They were featured in TV about a year ago. I think they were called the wheel hospital or something. I'll look the reciept out for you tonight and get their number.
The finish was excellant and I DID have some deep Kerbing marks and scratchs, but now there all gone without a trace. I was Very Inpressed.

Dicko
02-07-03, 12:57 PM
sounds cool, but sounds expensive lol
some1 told me ?30 per wheel as i dont need them powder cotaing or anything :-/

stugsi
02-07-03, 06:00 PM
some places will charge you ?30 a wheel but if you want the kerb marks out you you have to have them chemical stripped to bear metal have the marks linished. or filled with alloy weld depends on how bad there are.

they have to be shot blasted as every wheel thats painted is

then it depends on what colour you have. They have to powder coat them (eg if the wheel is going to be sliver they are powder coated light grey put in the oven then they are sprayed and laquered before the oven again

if they are sat sliver (chrome look) they are power coated dark red or black

white and matallic grey are just powder coated

i know all this cause i used to work in the cast and paint shop for team dynamics hope this info helps

NovaNeil
07-07-03, 08:06 PM
Hi,
Sorry, i've looked everywhere for that phone number for the place that did my wheels for me, but I can't find it :(
If your really desperate, look through the previous copies of TV from about a year ago. From what I remember it was ?32 a wheel for refurbishing and something like ?20 a wheel for powder coating.