PDA

View Full Version : !Leaded or unleaded!

m4trix
02-07-03, 12:14 AM
ok, this is a nightmare, recently bought my 1.3 SR, been putting unleaded in it, my bro pointed out it should be 4 star, !!!! is this bad!! should i drain it out or get some additive.. please HELP
:?

DUNOVA.
02-07-03, 12:16 AM
what year is it mine is e-reg and i use unleaded my mate's is g-reg and he uses four star

m4trix
02-07-03, 12:20 AM
what year is it mine is e-reg and i use unleaded my mate's is g-reg and he uses four star

dave.gsi
02-07-03, 01:20 AM
:?: where you just learning how to use the quote button there or do you have a point? lol

m4trix
02-07-03, 01:22 AM
wasn't sure how to reply.

do u know what i should do bout the gauge ?

Aragorn
02-07-03, 08:07 AM
all vauc OHC engines are unleaded safe

some of the OHV engines were not but that only covers the 1.0 and a few 1.2's in the likes of old mk1 astras

so u may as well run in on unleaded since its about 8p a litre cheaper

u MAY need the timing setup if the previous owner was running on 4star tho

Dicko
02-07-03, 09:56 AM
yep thats right

if it was on unleaded b4 then leave the timing and run on unleaded

if it ran on 4star and u wanna run on unleaded then knock the timing back a bit, otherwise as a safe bet run on optimax as it has a similar RON rating to 4star :)

ade
02-07-03, 09:57 AM
unless youve got a cat (which you wont have) it doesnt hurt to stick some LRP fuel (new 4 star) in once in a while.

Unleaded as the name suggests has no lead - which removes one of the helpful (not to the atmosphere mind) lubricants in the engine.

Most engines are adjusted for this but an occasional tank of LRP can help quieten things down a little

Optimax is also excellent for giving the engine a bit more oomph (may need to adjust timing though to see benefits)

Ade

Ste_Nova
02-07-03, 02:10 PM
i'm gonna run my 2.0 16v on 105ron carless racing fuel next year :twisted:

Aragorn
02-07-03, 11:19 PM
the only prolem with LRP and the main reason i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole is its prolly one of the least used fuels in the garage

unleaded and diesel at the top since they are "normal" fuels

super/optimax for folk who what that bit more oomph or with modifided/performance cars

then LRP for really old cars - anyone driving an old car who cant afford anything newer is prolly not gonna give a fuck and chuck the cheaper unleaded in most of the time anyway

so LRP is gonna be lying around in the tanks for much longer than the other varieties

and that cant be good for it