PDA

View Full Version : Swap 4spd for 5spd?

joesturdy
05-07-11, 12:51 AM
I currently have a 4spd box and would like a 5spd, is there one available that will bolt straight onto my 1992 1.2 injection motor? If so it's an F'?'

Cheers!

brownbear
05-07-11, 01:27 AM
Depends on what you want from the car? All the F '*' are different in some way but there is a wealth of different boxes available for your engine. But what do you want?? Acceleration? Fuel economy?

swedge
05-07-11, 06:29 AM
Just remember to use the selector turret from the 5speed box even the the 4speed has a 5speed diagram on top

It won't work, I'm talking from experience lol

mowgli
05-07-11, 08:28 AM
the f13 or f15 boxes will fit, swedge is correct about the 5 speed shifter box, and you need to modify the gear stick to make room for the 5th gear...

and as asked above, why are you after it? for acceleration, a close ratio box is a must, and i can assure you the wide ration 5 speed will be a waste of time as the 1.2 won't manage to pull the top gear along on anything other than a flat piece of road at above 85mph....

joesturdy
05-07-11, 10:24 AM
My main reason for wanting a change is that it revs it's nuts off on the motorway due to running 13's and fairly small tires. I'd like to keep the wheels/tyres but get the revs down in top gear.

In short, I need a longer box.

I'm guesing the number after the 'F' is some sort of scale of the gearing? The only one I'm familiar with is the F20 in my Dad's rally car but that's got a hell of a lot more power and is on 15s

mowgli
05-07-11, 12:05 PM
you have a 1.2 spi. it is geared for about 20mph/1000rpm. get a f13wr box from a mk3 astra. the diff is slightly lower, but the gears are longer, you'll gain maybe 10%

joesturdy
05-07-11, 01:00 PM
you have a 1.2 spi. it is geared for about 20mph/1000rpm. get a f13wr box from a mk3 astra. the diff is slightly lower, but the gears are longer, you'll gain maybe 10%

Will that just bolt straight on with any modification?

garyc
05-07-11, 01:01 PM
I'd check the code on the end of the cluster first, it will tell you what the diff is that you have in. There is a flat tab on the bottom of the end of the gear cluster, clean it off and read the numbers off. It will be something like W418 or W394.

mowgli
05-07-11, 01:51 PM
Will that just bolt straight on with any modification?

apart from needing to mod the gearstick, it is a straight swap, then remember to drain the old oil & refill it using the haynes method.. it might also be worth sticking new 1/2 shaft seals in at the same time.

joesturdy
05-07-11, 03:29 PM
Good stuff, cheers for the help!

Just out of interest, what does the 'wr' stand for?

mowgli
05-07-11, 04:32 PM
wide ratio, WR
close ratio CR

joesturdy
05-07-11, 05:16 PM
Ahh good stuff.

Final question is what do you mean by 'modify the gear stick'?

mowgli
05-07-11, 05:21 PM
there is a plastic thingy that stops the gear stick moving to the right of the gate. if you lift the gaitor up, its obvious. it needs getting rid of, or you will only have 4 forward gears.

when you have done fitting it, use the haynes book method to reset the gear linkage. it works best.

Riggy
05-07-11, 07:51 PM
He said it's injection , so being a mk2 then he won't have to mod the gear stick :thumb:

As said there are loads that will fit , f10 5 speed , f13, f15 etc , but you will normally find that the 5th gear ratio will be the same cog as your current 4th. ( check Haynes if you don't believe me lol )

So you won't rev any less on the motorway , you will however in the lower gears :)

mowgli
06-07-11, 06:29 AM
He said it's injection , so being a mk2 then he won't have to mod the gear stick :thumb:

As said there are loads that will fit , f10 5 speed , f13, f15 etc , but you will normally find that the 5th gear ratio will be the same cog as your current 4th. ( check Haynes if you don't believe me lol )

So you won't rev any less on the motorway , you will however in the lower gears :)

an f10/5wr has a taller top gear than an f10/4

joesturdy
06-07-11, 05:12 PM
Apologies for dragging this out even longer, just trying to get my head round it that's all...

You recommended the F13wr, what advantage would this have over an F10wr? Is the number to do with how much power it can take or something?

mowgli
06-07-11, 05:14 PM
Apologies for dragging this out even longer, just trying to get my head round it that's all...

You recommended the F13wr, what advantage would this have over an F10wr? Is the number to do with how much power it can take or something?

the fact that it is cheaper to get one, and then, when you decide to try 1600 power, the engine will fit too, as the f13 bellhousing is wider where the starter motor is, yet will still bolt up to the smaller engine.

joesturdy
06-07-11, 05:20 PM
Thanks!

Spudly
06-07-11, 06:35 PM
I fitted an F13 from an SR to my old 1.2i and it went on with no messing and felt exactly the same to drive, only difference was it had 5th, and i didnt have to do any choppyness on the plastic lug in the car, it got 5th straight out of the packet:thumb: